Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Why you Quarantine for several weeks!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/why-you-quarantine-several-weeks-357906/)

SeaHorse 02-28-2014 01:27 PM

Why you Quarantine for several weeks!!

So on Jan 30th I homed 3 very small Honey Gourmai, all males I believe in my fully planted established 10 gallon. The intention is to keep at least one of them in my office and if I need to I will move any who is aggressive to my long established 75 gallon community. So today is.... Day 29... 4 weeks and 1 day after QT. (Everything was FINE on Wednesday, 3 Honeys, 1 Mystery snail)

This morning... 2 Honeys... one is missing...:cry: and one of the remaining 2 has a bit of white fuzz on one of his feelers too. :evil: Not much but enough to notice! "Honey Ro" is still good but I'm worried. Will do a water change and then treat the tank with Meds.

SeaHorse 03-01-2014 04:46 PM

Today both Honey's are swimming around and active. The one with the fuzz is no longer hiding and the "fuzz" has dropped off. The snail is also active. Will keep an eye on things.

sandybottom 03-01-2014 05:12 PM

good to hear. i see a lot of people on forums saying that they do not have a qt set up,or they can not afford one.then they go out and buy a bunch of fish that die and kill everything in their tank.then they go out and buy more.my line of thinking is,if you can not afford the qt,you certainly can not afford the fish in the first place. same goes for testing equipment.do not put the cart before the horse.

jaysee 03-01-2014 05:19 PM

Amen

SeaHorse 03-01-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandybottom (Post 4022554)
good to hear. i see a lot of people on forums saying that they do not have a qt set up,or they can not afford one.then they go out and buy a bunch of fish that die and kill everything in their tank.then they go out and buy more.my line of thinking is,if you can not afford the qt,you certainly can not afford the fish in the first place. same goes for testing equipment.do not put the cart before the horse.

My 2 "Boese Boys" as I call them... I have had now for 3.5 years. They have 4 females to court and spawn with. At this point the tank has only 13 fish in it and I wouldn't dare add anything new to this tank now that might not be safe. Mother Nature/Fate/Karma/Murphy's Law... will take your best and favorite fish if you mess with them or overstock!
My Aquarium list is current in my Aquariums Tab <----- The Congo Girls can go back to the store at some point so they can be with more of their own kind (they were "unimpressed" with the boys of their own kind that have since passed away.) and the Chinese Algae eater is still "peaceful but also needs to go! Why do people buy those things?

sandybottom 03-01-2014 06:22 PM

i think they just register "algae eater", and pay no mind to the potential problems that they can cause.

Agent13 03-01-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse (Post 4022810)
and the Chinese Algae eater is still "peaceful but also needs to go! Why do people buy those things?

I actually really liked mine. Was so active and a pretty adorable fish .. Only problem I have with them is my bichir insists they are food ..

Sent from Petguide.com App

pop 03-01-2014 07:50 PM

Hello;
I donít see where this thread says anything about the reasons to Quarantine for several weeks. Is quarantining a waste of time like purchasing master api test kits that advises one to add salt to freshwater tanks if there is a high nitrite reading? Do you quarantine live plants or will quarantining only apply for critter control?

I just float the bag and let the fish go. I have never experienced any noticeable livestock loss or pandemic breakouts. DO you experience noticeable livestock loss or had pandemic outbreaks?
pop

SeaHorse 03-01-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pop (Post 4023306)
Hello;
I don’t see where this thread says anything about the reasons to Quarantine for several weeks. Is quarantining a waste of time like purchasing master api test kits that advises one to add salt to freshwater tanks if there is a high nitrite reading? Do you quarantine live plants or will quarantining only apply for critter control?

I just float the bag and let the fish go. I have never experienced any noticeable livestock loss or pandemic breakouts. DO you experience noticeable livestock loss or had pandemic outbreaks?
pop

Hey Pop. Well that was my point. I usually quarantine for 2-3 weeks. Most people can't wait any longer than 3... we are so impatient to add our newbies to our tanks, myself included. This time, due to the fact that I LOVE my Boese Boys... I waited till 4 weeks... and one disappeared. At 4wks and one day... fungus. So I treated the tank for the fungus. I see that as all a good thing if I don't loose anything else... and I haven't infected my Big Tank. I will probably wait another 3 weeks now before either of the Honeys goes near the 75.

I.E. the reason we need to QT.

Romad 03-01-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pop (Post 4023306)
Hello;
I don’t see where this thread says anything about the reasons to Quarantine for several weeks. Is quarantining a waste of time like purchasing master api test kits that advises one to add salt to freshwater tanks if there is a high nitrite reading? Do you quarantine live plants or will quarantining only apply for critter control?

pop

I always always always quarantine for at least a month or more. I learned the hard way and put a few new fish into my community tank after two weeks and within two days, the entire tank had an Ich outbreak.

Luckily I only lost a few fish that time but I would have been heartbroken if I lost any of my Boesmanis.