Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   180 gallon rebuild Amazonian Style (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/180-gallon-rebuild-amazonian-style-35765/)

fishfreak2009 01-22-2010 08:14 AM

180 gallon rebuild Amazonian Style

So I'm tearing down my 180 gallon goldfish tank this weekend and replacing the river rock with sand. The goldfish will be going in the 90 and I will be moving all 8 of my angelfish (6 from the 90 and 2 from the 75) into the tank along with my reticulated stingray. This is my stocking list so far.
8 Angelfish********
1 Reticulated Stingray*
5 Geophagus
5 Silver Dollar
1 Striped Raphael Catfish
1 Lima Shovelnosed Catfish
1 Black Ghost Knifefish

Any other suggestions? I can't put tetras because of the ray and the lima, and I can't put live plants (except the java fern on my driftwood) because of the ray and the silver dollars. No plecos because they will latch onto and irritate the ray.

fishfreak2009 01-27-2010 01:22 PM

New Stock List, because I ended up getting 2 Black Ghost Knifefish @ $4.98 apiece. The lady at the store didn't know what they were and sold them to me as columbian sharks. If they fight too much when they grow, I'll move one to my 125 gallon tank. This is the stocking list:

8 Angelfish*******
1 Reticulated Stingray*
2 Black Ghost Knifefish**
1 Mother of Snails Catfish
1 Striped Raphael Catfish
5 Silver Dollar
2 Lima Shovelnose Catfish
5 Geophagus

mrdemin 01-27-2010 01:26 PM

Sounds like a "fun" weekend you have coming up!

Kelso 01-27-2010 01:36 PM

I'd maybe drop one of the shovelnoses, you gotta lot of bottom feeders...however, either way, I think it's a great stocking list!

fishfreak2009 01-28-2010 12:07 PM

Ended up changing it last night, after realizing how small my black lace angels really were. All eight angels and the stingray were transfered last night. New New Stocking list:
8 Angelfish*******
8-10 Discus
1 Reticulated Stingray*
15 Bleeding Heart Tetra
15 Columbian Tetra
15 Hatchetfish
1 Megalodoras uranoscopus
1 Platydoras costatus
5 Geophagus
8-10 Amazon Swordplants*
I'll try to get pics up sooner or later.

Byron 01-28-2010 02:49 PM

Are you serious with this list? You have predatory fish in with small characins like hatchets and bleeding hearts. Plus the problems having discus and angels. I don't know where to begin, so I won't. The level of stress in this tank will mean very unhealthy fish.

Byron.

fishfreak2009 01-28-2010 04:09 PM

Yes, I'm serious with it. I've kept angels and discus together before with no problems. The local discus breeder also does the same with a 180 gallon discus/angel display. As for the predatory fish the megalodoras is very peaceful and can be safely kept with small fish like mollies and tetras.It's diet consists of snails and fruit, not fish. My stingray doesn't hurt anything. In fact, I kept dwarf gouramis, various barbs, and platies with it (before I decided to go S.A. themed). Plus, medium sized tetras (bleeding hearts in particular) are a highly recommended tankmate for FW stingrays. For the knifefish, I have seen very aggressive ones that kill everything and also have seen peaceful ones that don't bother anything at all. If they mis-behave (eat the tetras) I will transfer them to my 125 gallon with Blood Parrots and Severums. I probably won't put the hatchets though because I personally don't like them (mom does). New Stocking list:
8 Angelfish********
8-10 Discus
5 Geophagus
1 Reticulated Stingray*
1 Mother of Snails Catfish
1 Humbug Catfish
15 Bleeding Heart Tetra
15 Columbian Tetra
8-10 Amazon Swordplants*

Byron 01-28-2010 04:22 PM

I meant the discus and angels with tsome of the others. But doesn't matter. This is not a good mix of fish. The hatchets will be constantly under stress at just having the knifefish swimming around them even if the knife fish doesn't decide to eat them, which I would expect it will. The fact that you or I may have kept this or that fish together with no obvious (to us) ill effects does not mean there are no ill effects. Fish behave and think according to their inherent programming, not by being in your or my aquarium. And while a fish under stress may appear fine today, it will likely have a shorter life span and can develop other health issues that would not otherwise occur.

fishfreak2009 01-28-2010 04:31 PM

No hatchets are going to go in. As for the others, I have seen black ghost knifefish, discus, rays, and angels together before with no problems. The columbians and bleeding hearts are recommended tankmates for all of these species. As for the Doradids (Megalodoras and Platydoras), I used to keep the Platydoras with discus, and Megalodoras is often kept with fish like angels because it is so shy. It does not do well when put with other more aggressive competion (Peacock Bass, oscars, red tail cats, etc.). This makes the discus and angels perfect tankmates for it. By the way, the reticulated stingray has the smallest mouth of any species of FW ray, and it is the least aggressive of all the species (motoros are the most).

Byron 01-28-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishfreak2009 (Post 314711)
No hatchets are going to go in. As for the others, I have seen black ghost knifefish, discus, rays, and angels together before with no problems. The columbians and bleeding hearts are recommended tankmates for all of these species. As for the Doradids (Megalodoras and Platydoras), I used to keep the Platydoras with discus, and Megalodoras is often kept with fish like angels because it is so shy. It does not do well when put with other more aggressive competion (Peacock Bass, oscars, red tail cats, etc.). This makes the discus and angels perfect tankmates for it. By the way, the reticulated stingray has the smallest mouth of any species of FW ray, and it is the least aggressive of all the species (motoros are the most).

I really don't want to prolong this because we have differing views, and that's fine. As I said before, what we see in another aquarium may or may not be for the best health of those fish.

It was co-incidental that earlier this afternoon I was reading through the latest TFH (Feb) and I normally read certain columns even if I have no direct interest in the fish. Jack Whattley's discus knowledge is almost unparalleled. He said angels and discus are not suitable tankmates, primarily because the angels are more aggressive feeders and discus will normally be scared off from eating as much or as well as they should; the result of combining these too will be poorer nutrition for discus. I tend to listen to aquarists with that kind of experience, rather than risking something for my fish. Even though another member might well say they have kept them together with no problems. But problems to the fish may not be that evident to the aquarist.

Byron.