Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   newbie cycling aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/newbie-cycling-aquarium-35712/)

scottos72 01-21-2010 03:19 PM

newbie cycling aquarium

Hi everyone ,new to fishkeeping and aquariums . Got a new aquarium for xmas, and decided right from the start to use it. I have been cycling my tank ( 100 litre ), since 26/12/2009, almost a month. I am fish-less cycling by the way and not making any fish suffer for my hobbie. I have used a frozen prawn from day one, and i also have water conditioners and stress-zyme which i add weekly. I have been testing my water daily and for the past couple of days things have stayed the same. My readings are ammonia-0.25ppm, nitrate-5ppm and nitrite-0.ppm. My question is, are these readings normal for a tank coming up to 4 weeks cycling ? Also can anyone supply any tips on what fish would create a peaceful community.:roll:

stephanieleah 01-22-2010 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottos72 (Post 310137)
Hi everyone ,new to fishkeeping and aquariums . Got a new aquarium for xmas, and decided right from the start to use it. I have been cycling my tank ( 100 litre ), since 26/12/2009, almost a month. I am fish-less cycling by the way and not making any fish suffer for my hobbie. I have used a frozen prawn from day one, and i also have water conditioners and stress-zyme which i add weekly. I have been testing my water daily and for the past couple of days things have stayed the same. My readings are ammonia-0.25ppm, nitrate-5ppm and nitrite-0.ppm. My question is, are these readings normal for a tank coming up to 4 weeks cycling ? Also can anyone supply any tips on what fish would create a peaceful community.:roll:

hi welcome to the forum : )
sounds like the cycle is in full swing, i'd wait till that ammonia reads zero, shouldn't take more than a day or so since your nitrates are at 5ppm. i just wondered why you are adding water conditioners every week? are these to detoxify chlorine, chloramine, and/or ammonia? there's no need to use these except during water changes which you will want to do a large one before you add any fish. are you changing the water and that's why you are using it, and if so are you testing the water before or after the water changes? that could affect the ammonia reading (for instance my tap has ammonia so the day of the water change there will be a positive ammonia reading until the next day)

to get stocking suggestions you'll want to write a little more about your aquarium, pH for instance. will you have plants, what kind of substrate are you using? i'd definitely do your research here on the forum and not rely on your LFS employees for advice on this. They notoriously mislead folks (me included) unless you have a remarkably responsible and knowledgable one.

good for you by the way for cycling fishless.

iamntbatman 01-23-2010 12:07 AM

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you're off to a good start with the fishless cycling and having a test kit! In addition to the questions stephanieleah asked, what are the dimensions of your tank? That can have a large bearing on what sort of fish you can keep.