Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Is my glass catfish dying? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/my-glass-catfish-dying-35681/)

brettxw 01-20-2010 11:54 PM

Is my glass catfish dying?

I have about 8 glass catfish in a 30gallon tank. The majority of them have been with me since day 1 which was over a year ago. I pretty much know how they move and what they do at different times. However, I now have one catfish that is acting weird. While the others are swimming in the current, this one is swimming at a higher angle, close to being vertical. He will quickly sink to the bottom and it seems like he may be struggling at times, but he does get back to the top. His body is still clear, no signs of any discoloration inside HOWEVER his head portion is turning a little sand colorish. None of the other catfish have this color on their heads. His whiskers are pointing how they always have and the same as the others.

My question is, is this just old age? How do you tell that your catfish is getting old? How long are they expected to live?

brettxw 01-21-2010 12:28 AM

Just about dead. WTH. He was not like this last night. I just looked closely again and there is so much green algae in the tank. What is causing this??? Do I need to stop feeding them every night? I do a pinch of flake food every night. Or what fish actually eats algae??

1077 01-21-2010 03:27 AM

Whenever fish display unusual behaivor,it is always wise to test the water to see that ammonia and nitrites are zero and nitrAtes no higher than 20 ppm.
Glass catfish are said to be extremely sensitive to deteriorating water conditions and high nitrAte levels.

brettxw 01-22-2010 12:08 AM

I have tested the water and, the results are not great.

pH - 6.0
Nitrate - Hard to pick between the two so I am saying its between 0 - 5.0
Nitrite - .25
A - .25

First time my tests have shown bad results. With the given results, I am going to take a wild guess that this is due to overfeeding. Which I am guilty of. If I do a 30% water change tomorrow this should help with getting my numbers back to normal?

1077 01-22-2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brettxw (Post 310519)
I have tested the water and, the results are not great.

pH - 6.0
Nitrate - Hard to pick between the two so I am saying its between 0 - 5.0
Nitrite - .25
A - .25

First time my tests have shown bad results. With the given results, I am going to take a wild guess that this is due to overfeeding. Which I am guilty of. If I do a 30% water change tomorrow this should help with getting my numbers back to normal?

Won't hurt. Maybe water change every day will be needed to bring amnmonia,and nitrites to zero.