Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Albino Tiger Barbs ~ Anyone? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/albino-tiger-barbs-anyone-35596/)

Angel079 01-19-2010 07:50 PM

Albino Tiger Barbs ~ Anyone?

So I just got me some (9) Albion Tiger Barbs for part of the stocking for the 55g (Along with 2 Kissing Gouramies and 6 Bronze Cory)

Boy they ain't no shy fish are they? I gotta say having had my Tetra tank to watch for so long now, they sure appear hyperactive to me :lol: they are all over my plants and driftwood and what not, all ganging up swimming to the left / right. No signs of any fin nipping agression or ntohing, just not your avg peaceful tetra you're watching there

So what's your experiences with them guys??

Am I asusming correctly to tell males/ females apart its the red dot on the snout and the red strip on the top fin that set's them apart?

iamntbatman 01-20-2010 04:22 AM

That's the main way, yeah. As they get some size on them you'll notice a difference in body shape as well (the females tend to be a bit more plump). As they settle into the tank they'll probably start establishing the pecking order so you might see some fighting, especially between the males, but in a group that size you should be ok so long as the aggression evens itself out pretty well.

willow 01-20-2010 05:08 AM

my experiance of them was that they were great fish in a larg group.
the only downfall i had was with a couple of them that had a death wish,and found
anything with a small hole in it to wedge themselves and die. :(
i was lucky enough to not have other problem,they were piggies at feeding time,
and they were never shy at having a peck at me when i had my hands in the tank
for maintainance.

LisaC144 01-20-2010 07:41 AM

I googled Albino Tiger Barbs last night. They are really cool looking and will look great with your Kissing Gourami. Cangrats again on your new fishy friends and getting a buddy for free! ;-)

Twistersmom 01-20-2010 07:56 AM

After keeping many different type fish, tiger barbs are still one of my favorites. Very active, fun fish.
Watch out on gravel cleaning days. I have a few, that are always getting in the way.

Angel079 01-20-2010 03:01 PM

@iamntbatman
You know I was indeed wondering about that when watching them last night...they're not aggressive but they do behave a lil what reminded me of pack orders among dogs. So is that pretty much how Barbs are (sorry I never had Barbs, so forgive me if that's stupid question) they 'fight out' pack orders and have a pack set up pretty much like dog groups do?

@willow what size group would you say is 'large group' with them....I have 9 think that's appropriate or does the group need to be larger?

@Twistersmom thanks for the warning kinda sounds like my Boeseman's used to be always had to be RIGHT THERE when the gravel vac came in...as long as they don't jump out of the tank I can tolerate a lot :lol: but jumpers....what a headache fighting whether me or my dogs get them first (yea been there & done that with Danios)

willow 01-20-2010 03:06 PM

hi
9 sounds a nice size,you shouldn't have a worry
people can fall into trouble when they have less than 6 i think.

jeaninel 01-20-2010 03:58 PM

The "dog pack" is a good comparison. lol They are really a crack up how they'll race around the tank playing follow the leader. And yet, other times they will each kind of do their own thing. Then suddenly they'll group up and race around together again. Never a dull moment with these guys. And I have the same experience at water change day. They are not shy and will pick at my arm (curiously, not aggressively) during water changes.

jaysee 01-20-2010 06:31 PM

Wow, cherry or gold barbs to tiger barbs!

I tried keeping mine with corys. It didn't matter how many there were, they would always be nipping the corys dorsal fins. I had 12 before I took the corys out and added a crayfish. After I move I'll be building their school back up to 15.

Angel079 01-20-2010 06:43 PM

Odd wondering what makes the behavior difference that some have smaller group and no problem and some have larger groups and do have troubles.
I hadn't even seen mine close to the Cory at all. The Gourami yes and they had a lil head one 2-3 times yesterday when they had first went in, but after that (just like dogs) it was clear who's boss, no more issue since then.

Jaysee what's your set up since you had problems (size tank? Plants?Hiding places)?

Somehow between these ADD-Clowns (aka Albino Tiger) and the Cory someone competently took up and uprooted half my dwarf baby tears last night; so I just did some gardening now its secured in the 45 tank with the Tetra (anyone else have tanks with Tera and tanks with Barbs? I set there over dinner just now wondering why my Tetra looked so stoned/ calm etc compared to the speedy ADD-Clowns lol)...