Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Daughter's Tank finally may be getting close to finishing cycling (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/daughters-tank-finally-may-getting-close-35560/)

HollyinWA 01-18-2010 11:37 PM

Daughter's Tank finally may be getting close to finishing cycling

Gee, this tank seems to be taking forever. Don't want to bore everyone with the past details of why I think it has taken awhile and why it spiked worse than I remember my tanks spiking in the past.

It FINALLY started showing Nitrites two-three days ago! There are no starter fish in there -- took them out over a week ago. The tank looks great, but I know it is not ready yet for fish. By the time it is ready the newness of the tank will be over. :roll:

I think I am just going to get my daughter some male guppies. I should have gotten her a 20 gallon instead of this 14 gallon. Or better yet, a 26 gallow bow front. Oh well, this is what it is for now. I can't be spending anymore money on tanks after spending on this one and my 55 gallon tank.

Now my question is (cannot remember from past experiences)....how long (on the average) until these darn Nitrites disappear? The Nitrates are going up. My daughter does not seem that bothered by it, but I sure am. I want to see some cute fish in there! I don't think the fish thing is as much for her as it was when I was a kid. :-?

iamntbatman 01-19-2010 12:08 AM

Not sure about averages, but in my experience the nitrite takes a while longer to go down to zero once it has spiked than the ammonia does (I remember reading somewhere that this has something to do with the reproduction rates of the bacteria involved, but don't quote me on that).

HollyinWA 01-19-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 308597)
Not sure about averages, but in my experience the nitrite takes a while longer to go down to zero once it has spiked than the ammonia does (I remember reading somewhere that this has something to do with the reproduction rates of the bacteria involved, but don't quote me on that).

Oh great, just what I wanted to hear. :tongue: The ammonia is going down but not all the way yet. That took long enough and that is not even over yet. :| Oh well, I guess I can just enjoy looking at the water and decor for now. Thanks for the response.

rsheets 01-19-2010 01:04 AM

Looks like 2.5 - 3 weeks from the time nitrites start to show up to the time they show 0. That's according to a book I have. Takes forever doesn't it!!!! I have amquel+, it takes the nitrite out within just a few minutes. I hear there is a prime product that does it too.

HollyinWA 01-20-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsheets (Post 308612)
Looks like 2.5 - 3 weeks from the time nitrites start to show up to the time they show 0. That's according to a book I have. Takes forever doesn't it!!!! I have amquel+, it takes the nitrite out within just a few minutes. I hear there is a prime product that does it too.

Thanks for the response.

I tested the ammonia this morning and it is FINALLY at 0 again. The Nitrites are somewhere between 5 and 10 on the strip (hard to distinguish the colors...so close from 5 and 10). I do have Prime, but I just don't trust putting fish in until it is at least very low if I add Prime. I would rather wait until it is zero. I just hate the wait. It is driving me nuts.

I remember long ago, having fish to cycle and all went well. For some reason I just do not remember having big trouble when cycling with fish other than a salt water tank. That was a whole other deal. My new 55 gallon is doing great. It has been cycling for two weeks and has yet shown signs of ammonia when tested. I did seed it (as I did the other tank as well) and have good biological filtration so maybe it is able to keep up with the load of 6 small fish without showing visiable signs when tested. ??

Byron 01-20-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyinWA (Post 309356)
Thanks for the response.

I tested the ammonia this morning and it is FINALLY at 0 again. The Nitrites are somewhere between 5 and 10 on the strip (hard to distinguish the colors...so close from 5 and 10). I do have Prime, but I just don't trust putting fish in until it is at least very low if I add Prime. I would rather wait until it is zero. I just hate the wait. It is driving me nuts.

I remember long ago, having fish to cycle and all went well. For some reason I just do not remember having big trouble when cycling with fish other than a salt water tank. That was a whole other deal. My new 55 gallon is doing great. It has been cycling for two weeks and has yet shown signs of ammonia when tested. I did seed it (as I did the other tank as well) and have good biological filtration so maybe it is able to keep up with the load of 6 small fish without showing visiable signs when tested. ??

I would not add fish with nitrites at 5-10. Prime is a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite if these are in the tap water. I have read that this "detoxification" only lasts 24 hours. I would let the bacteria finish cycling the tank.

To the 55g, a few small fish in a 55g that was seeded with live bacteria should cycle almost immediately, as the bacteria would easily handle the ammonia and nitrite. I suspect it is fine, and a few more fish could be added.

Byron.

HollyinWA 01-20-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 309510)
I would not add fish with nitrites at 5-10. Prime is a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite if these are in the tap water. I have read that this "detoxification" only lasts 24 hours. I would let the bacteria finish cycling the tank.

To the 55g, a few small fish in a 55g that was seeded with live bacteria should cycle almost immediately, as the bacteria would easily handle the ammonia and nitrite. I suspect it is fine, and a few more fish could be added.

Byron.

Thanks, Byron. Yes, that is what I want to do....wait until I get zero even though can detoxify some of it for a period of time. I hated dealing with the Ammo Lock that I had to use when those fish were in there. In the end, I had to get them out of there anyway. It only allowed me a few days borrowed time.

Thanks for your input on the 55 gallon. I think what i will do is wait until the end of the week. I may then go in and get a fish or two, but not the Angels yet, but maybe the fish that will be their roomate(s). I have not decided exactly what I am going to get. It is hard to decide. I like so many different types of fish. That is why I always end up with more tanks! That and the joy of creating the display part of it.

Byron 01-20-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyinWA (Post 309521)
Thanks, Byron. Yes, that is what I want to do....wait until I get zero even though can detoxify some of it for a period of time. I hated dealing with the Ammo Lock that I had to use when those fish were in there. In the end, I had to get them out of there anyway. It only allowed me a few days borrowed time.

Thanks for your input on the 55 gallon. I think what i will do is wait until the end of the week. I may then go in and get a fish or two, but not the Angels yet, but maybe the fish that will be their roomate(s). I have not decided exactly what I am going to get. It is hard to decide. I like so many different types of fish. That is why I always end up with more tanks! That and the joy of creating the display part of it.

I think getting companion fish first and waiting for angels is good thinking Holly. Angels will then be entering a tank with more fish which means more bacteria, and the catch-up of the bacteria for the angels will be quicker. B.

HollyinWA 01-20-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 309523)
I think getting companion fish first and waiting for angels is good thinking Holly. Angels will then be entering a tank with more fish which means more bacteria, and the catch-up of the bacteria for the angels will be quicker. B.

Thank you. That is exactly, what I was thinking. I know they are a little more sensitive to water conditions, and I would hate to see Angels struggling.....even though I hate seeing any fish struggling. I am a softy. ;-) I would rather not take a chance.