Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Pictures of new DP's coming soon...

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  stephanieleah 
#1 ·
Hey y'all

I don't have pictures yet, but I'm starting the thread so I could tell you all I broke down and got my Dwarf Puffers. I had the 10 gallon all set up for them, and I was going to the fish store to buy more leopard danios for my 29 gallon. I was going to QT them in the puffer tank for a few weeks and then add the puffers a few weeks after that. Well, once I got to the fish store, I was watching those little cuties in the tank (they keep them in the plant tanks to reduce the snails) and I thought, heck, why wait? So I bought 3 DP's, 3 amano shrimp, and we'll see how everything goes. I realized my heater is inaccurate or something because my tank water is a whopping 84' but I've read that DP's like it at least 80 (I know others here don't keep theirs that warm). So I'll probably try for around 80/82 degrees.

Anyway, photos coming soon...

#2 ·
No way...you already got some, how awesomeeeeeeeee
I wanna see pictures now :)

#3 ·
Okay...here are some photos. It's funny, these little characters, in a lot of the photos, they are actually looking at the camera! Or swimming away from it... Here are the clearest ones...

it's nice when they look at the camera
Green Aquarium Leaf Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium

don't they make their surroundings look huge?
Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant Aquarium Plant

Nature Aquatic plant Freshwater aquarium Organism Plant

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Organism

Nature Green Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium decor

They got pretty comfortable in their new tank pretty quickly, sniffing around (if you have DP's you know what I mean, they explore and poke things like dogs).

And here I made this heavily planted tank with oversized driftwood so there would be ample hiding places, and little did I know that one little branch was enough of a boundary on their little corners. They've already found their favorite little hiding places. And when I say little hiding places, I mean little!

#4 ·
LMAO the 1st pic the one on the left reminds me of Dory from 'Nemo' with its that facial impression :)

They indeed are too cute....I'm debating sooo hard between them or some new crabs......its a tough one

#6 ·
I can't tell you from experience I can only tell you based on what I've read and what others have shared. Not hard to take care of but some can be picky eaters. And they need certain (crunchy) foods so that their teeth don't get overgrown (otherwise you have to clip them). These DPs are tiny, not even the size of my thumbnail, and I'm shocked every time I look at them at how very tiny they are. And these are several months old. Supposedly they get about one inch long. At the fish store, they were with ottos (which are supposed to be good with them but many feel that otos are too sensitive), amano shrimp, and danios. I've read both ways on compatability...you want fish that can get away from them (fast swimmers) but you want fish that are calm and won't attract attention to themselves. I did see fish in the tank with them that looked like zebra danios but only a couple. I hope these guys thrive in my tank...we will see, I just brought them home today and I'm keeping my fingers crossed despite the tank heater issue I'm having...I'll be posting if their luck (and mine) turns south...

IF you have more questions, there have been several threads posted lately about DPs, you might do a search on the forum for "DP" or "dwarf puffer"

#10 ·
They're so cute! You'll love these little guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.