Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   And now I have white spot...*sigh* (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/now-i-have-white-spot-sigh-35501/)

1stAquarium 01-18-2010 06:25 AM

And now I have white spot...*sigh*

I noticed last night that my two platies which I got in the last week have tiny white dots all over their bodies and tails. I checked out my other fish and my femlae betta in the same tank also has this. The other fish look fine. I assume this is white spot and I need to get some specific treatment for it? I will be going to the LFS to return my broken filter from a different tank later anyway so I'll pick some up then if this is white spot?
I also found my biggest female guppy dead this morning :( she was absolutely huge and I thought she would give birth last night so I think she probably died during/just before giving birth. She was one of the first fish I got and though she was very plain she was kinda my favourite. Not having much luck with my fish recently!

LisaC144 01-18-2010 08:20 AM

You can SLOWLY dial the temperature up to 80-82 degrees in your tank. This speeds up the Ich (white spot) process. If you would like to medicate, I had huge success with RidIch. I battled Ich successfully with no fishy losses. I treated at half dose because I have scaleless fish and it worked fine. Be sure to treat with medication for several days after the last sign of white spot. I'd suggest searching this site to understand the process of Ich, or simply do a google search.

1stAquarium 01-18-2010 09:51 AM

Thanks Lisa I will see if I can find it!

1stAquarium 01-18-2010 03:58 PM

Okay I got something called Anti White Spot by Interpet. It says to remove all carbon and zeolite sponges from my filter before using it. Only problem is, I'm not sure what zeolite is and if I have it lol. I have a carbon sponge which I will remove. Anyone know what zeolite is so I can remove it if I have it, and add my treatment asap?

Angel079 01-18-2010 04:41 PM

Dial up your Temp a degree or 2 every few hrs till you reach 80-82F. And start the meds right away, that'll make for best success together.
Zeolite comes usually in lil mesh bags looks sorta like fine driveway gravel, kinda like carbon pebbles just more grayish (doubt you have it in your filter).

1stAquarium 01-18-2010 04:42 PM

Brilliant, thank you! I'll go do it now.

marzipanquinn 01-18-2010 05:15 PM

My Rummy Nose Tetras have white spot too :-( I had 6 and now I'm down to 3 and I'm not hopeful that they'll survive, they look pretty terrible. I'm very new to keeping fish am not sure what I'm doing half the time! Did not think fish keeping was going to be this hard.
I'm using the same stuff as you for the white spot "Interpet, Anti White Spot". Started the treatment a couple of hours ago. I would love to save my poor fish.
Any idea how quick it's meant to work?

1stAquarium 01-18-2010 05:25 PM

Aww I'm sorry to hear that, I hope your fish pull through! Don't give up though, it's such a great hobby to have. :)
I don't know how fast the treatment is meant to work. I just added it now, did not realise it turns your water blue!!
Angel, my guppy fry are in the tank with the ich outbreak, will they be okay with the treatment do you think, with them being so small?
Also, does anyone know if the treatment will effect any readings when I test the water? And shoud I not do water changes whilst the I am treating the fish?

Angel079 01-18-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marzipanquinn (Post 308398)
My Rummy Nose Tetras have white spot too :-( I had 6 and now I'm down to 3 and I'm not hopeful that they'll survive, they look pretty terrible. I'm very new to keeping fish am not sure what I'm doing half the time! Did not think fish keeping was going to be this hard.
I'm using the same stuff as you for the white spot "Interpet, Anti White Spot". Started the treatment a couple of hours ago. I would love to save my poor fish.
Any idea how quick it's meant to work?

I treated a gang of Rummy's successfully, so there is hope for ya :-D
First step by step a few degrees every few hours, dial your temp up to 80-81F not more then that for Tetra.
Then cross check the exact dosage, I wanna say all available ick meds gotta be added half dose for Tetra's (at least all I ever seen).
Then good water changes/ water maintenance.
You should see the spots getting fewer in the first week.
Good luck, pm me if you need further help any time :-D

Angel079 01-18-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stAquarium (Post 308402)
I don't know how fast the treatment is meant to work. I just added it now, did not realise it turns your water blue!!
Angel, my guppy fry are in the tank with the ich outbreak, will they be okay with the treatment do you think, with them being so small?
Also, does anyone know if the treatment will effect any readings when I test the water? And shoud I not do water changes whilst the I am treating the fish?

Yes part of what's in the meds will indeed stain your water for a lil while (and your fingers and cloth if not careful) :-D
Dang that's a tough one, using the meds OR moving the fry out is both VERY risky if they're super small, like just born. Do you have a small other non-used tank they could go to? Do you have 1 extra heater by chance?
To say up front, I have plenty exp with the fry matter itself and the ick matter itself, but not the combo...However what I'd pers do if they were super young, move them to a clean bucket water with a heater in it; if they're already several weeks old I'd leave them in the tank; chances also may be they're already infected too.
No the meds won't effect your readings.
Stick to your normal weekly water changes while treating.
Once all visible signs are gone, I treat mine for 4-5 more days. Then do a super gravel vac with about 60% water change and then add carbon to your filter (to remove remaining meds).