Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   Fish tank has alot of little bubbles ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/fish-tank-has-alot-little-bubbles-35441/)

saltwaterulz 01-16-2010 10:14 PM

Fish tank has alot of little bubbles ?

I am cycling my fish tank and i noticed that there are millions of little bubbles just floating around. i dont have a prorein skimmer or powerhead just tank filter and heater. any help is appreciated. is this normal?

stephanieleah 01-16-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwaterulz (Post 307356)
I am cycling my fish tank and i noticed that there are millions of little bubbles just floating around. i dont have a prorein skimmer or powerhead just tank filter and heater. any help is appreciated. is this normal?

I noticed when my water level is low in my tank then more bubbles are forced into the water. Since I have a planted tank and have learned (on this forum) that water surface disturbance is, in short, not ideal for planted tanks, I keep my tank filled as high as possible to minimize the surface disturbance. This also reduces the amount of bubbles in the water. I don't think the bubbles hurt, though. I believe it oxygenates the water (someone correct me if I'm wrong?).

Does it look like the bubbles are coming from the filter?

Pasfur 01-17-2010 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwaterulz (Post 307356)

A picture of the tank would be helpful, so that we can visually see what could be causing the problem.

By the way, I am somewhat confused by your statement. In saltwater aquariums, the "filter" is the protein skimmer, which should accompany live rock and sand. What sort of filtration system are you using?

LisaC144 01-17-2010 07:42 AM

How long ago did you fill the tank to begin cycling? I had bubbles in my 55g gallon for about 3 days. I just filled a 5g last night to begin cycling and bubbles were there all night. They are starting to go away and will problably be gone by the end of the day. In a new tank, the bubbles are ususally just from all the air in the water and you filled your tank. The bigger the tank, the more bubbles there will be in the beginning.

saltwaterulz 01-17-2010 10:43 AM

well i have a bioball filter. the water level is pretty much to the top. and you can go on facebook to c pics of my tank just search ryan maffioli

mrdemin 01-17-2010 11:10 AM

Is this freshwater or saltwater?
Noone is going to search facebook to find you, so if you want help post a picture here.

Pasfur 01-17-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltwaterulz (Post 307614)
well i have a bioball filter. the water level is pretty much to the top. and you can go on facebook to c pics of my tank just search ryan maffioli

For the record, your facebook profile is private. We can't see your pics. And no, i'm not sending you a facebook friend request.

Seriously, it sounds like you have a lot more problems that you realize. If you will spend a few minutes on this site you will see that we are very different than a lot of the forums online. This is a VERY friendly and helpful group of people. But we need pics.

saltwaterulz 01-17-2010 01:36 PM

ok sorry about the facebook thing. it is is a saltwater setup and il add a picture

saltwaterulz 01-17-2010 01:37 PM

can someone help me how to put a picture up on thsi post. i have the picture saved on my desktop

mrdemin 01-17-2010 01:58 PM

After you hit "Add New Post". under the place where you write you message there should be a button for "attachments".