Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Money (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/money-35431/)

PRichs87 01-16-2010 07:02 PM

Money

Wondering what people estimate they spend on their aquarium. My 29 gallon has hit around 300 and I'm getting some fish tomorrow, kind of assuming I'll hit around 400 when it's finally done.

Mikaila31 01-16-2010 07:13 PM

Well setup, my high tech 55gal probably cost at least $700 not counting fish. That tank was really expensive though because we alot of stuff from petsmart, and being my very first tank we got off to a rocky and expensive start. The last tank I setup...a 5gal cost at most $15 for everything....

Upkeep wise, like food, supplies, ect I think I break pretty even on. I plan to keep track this year. IDK maybe start a thread at the end of january and see how I do....

edit: so far this year I have spent $65.91(inc tax) and made $32.13 in store credit.....leaving me down $33.78....

Angel079 01-16-2010 08:23 PM

I'll compare 2 recent set ups and the figures are pretty accurate (+/-$5)...

Lets see my 55&45 I bought as a combo for $100...so let's say that was 50/50.
Building the stand, hood, lights, bulbs, timer ran me about $85
Pump, Thermometer, Heater, Backround, Ferts, Gravel, food about 120
Plants was $50 and the current stock order is just cutting $100
So total for the 55g set up start to finish incl stock $400 is a safe assumption

The 10g cost me $5 used
Bought lights and gravel and sponge filter, food for it, that was ~$20
Plants (partly taken from other tank, but $ per stem, plus java) $5-6
Betta & Shrimp $10
Total about $40-45 at the end

I'd say if you calculate about $10 per gallon water, provided you buy used tanks, you're pretty well set.

stephanieleah 01-16-2010 09:30 PM

Okay so I'm taking lessons from Angel079 before my next tank set up.

my 10 gallon, probably around $150, plants included. There are no fish yet.

my 29 gallon: $600 initial (tank, gravel, filter, light, heater, etc.), $50ish in plants, $75ish in DW and decor, $50ish in fish, plus conditioners and fertilizers (another $50+ so far). Am I spending too much here?

Splinter492 01-16-2010 10:25 PM

just an estimate but my 10G cost me about $250-$300 set up with everything

Guber 01-16-2010 10:43 PM

I'd say my biggest suggestion if it is an option for anyone to save money is just abuse the ability to order things online. Or check if your local petsmart would price match any online stores as well. My local one does but they add the shipping and handling cost.

mrdemin 01-17-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guber (Post 307374)
I'd say my biggest suggestion if it is an option for anyone to save money is just abuse the ability to order things online. Or check if your local petsmart would price match any online stores as well. My local one does but they add the shipping and handling cost.

When theres an itch... It needs to be scratched ASAP :lol:
Personally I'd rather spend a couple of extra bucks to support the local stores, as well as see what I am getting, AND if theres a need for a return its hassle free. Of course if the savings are significant, online ordering it is!
Oh a rough estimate is probably around 200 bucks since Sept/Oct, new set up but not including tank, hood, filter. I think its fairly similar from tank to tank if no special equipment is used (ie CO2)

Angel079 01-17-2010 08:41 AM

I think there's a few thing to consider why some set up tanks cheaper then others, here's few examples:
Any given product can cost me $5 here in TN while it'll run you maybe $10 downtown NY City; just like anything else in our lives, there's regional price differences based of the demand/ availability.
Part 2 would be do I shop around or do I buy all in 1 go at one store? For example the Eheim I bought for the new 55g was some $120-130 at the store; at this VERY SAME store online I was able to buy my filter for $65 w/out having to pay shipping - That right there multiplied by setting up numerous tanks adds up quick.
Lights: Do I buy bulb XYZ at the fish store for $20-25 or do I buy the exact same bulb at the Homestore w/out fancy packaging for $3-5.

Last but not least the stock, I seen people post fish prices here of the exact same fish I have in my tanks, while I'd pay 1.99 for a given fish these people would pay 2-3.99 for the same fish....Given a healthy stock for a large tank that alone adds up quick.

The Stands (my latest kicker) you can go to the store get a semi ugly press board stand for a large tank starting at 200 bucks with pretty much open end; or you don't like these at all, buy your own materials and built a nice one, cost less then half of that and you don't need to be a carpenter to do it.

Bottom line to me: Fish keeping does not need to be a expensive hobby, but it sure can be if you're going to a specialized store who's well trained to sell you anything under the sun and you fall for it not knowing better.

PRichs87 01-17-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdemin (Post 307438)
When theres an itch... It needs to be scratched ASAP :lol:
Personally I'd rather spend a couple of extra bucks to support the local stores, as well as see what I am getting, AND if theres a need for a return its hassle free. Of course if the savings are significant, online ordering it is!
Oh a rough estimate is probably around 200 bucks since Sept/Oct, new set up but not including tank, hood, filter. I think its fairly similar from tank to tank if no special equipment is used (ie CO2)

My local store is actually cheaper than Petco/ Petsmart, I don't know how but it is. I looked at some things I bought at Petco and they were like 2 dollars cheaper (most of them). I was shocked and mad I didn't think to look there.

molliefan09 01-17-2010 10:00 AM

heres my run down...

55gal with stand (used) $65.00
2nd 55gal with stand (used) $75.00
10 gal w/o stand (new) $30.00
20 gal w/o stand (new) FREE
5 gal w/o stand (new) $30.00

with all the substrate for all tanks prob. $50.00
Plus prob. about $100.00 for decos and fake plants (cant keep real ones alive)
then $150 in fish....