Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Anyone who has ever dealt with sand? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/anyone-who-has-ever-dealt-sand-35412/)

puppyrjjkm 01-16-2010 01:29 PM

Anyone who has ever dealt with sand?

I am wanting to setup a freshwater-ocean theme tank. It would be a 10 gallon. I would love to use sand but the only time I used it I used "play sand" and it almost fried my filter. And cleaning was really difficult, and the water was always cloudy. I found this sand on petsmart.com CaribSea Aquarium Sand - Décor - Fish - PetSmart. Would aquarium sand act any different. Also suggestions on my filter/cleaning problems? Thanks

rrcoolj 01-16-2010 01:52 PM

Play sand is not good for fish tanks. If you can i would go to home depot and look for pool filter sand. It won't make your water cloudy as long as you rinse it before you put it into the aquarium. If you can't find that than regular aquarium sand will also be much better. I have been using sand for my mbunas for about 2 years and they love it. Bottom dwellers and digging fish especially love how fine it is and easy to sift through. Another great thing about sand is all the debri lands on the top so you don't have to clean through it just pick the debri off the top f the sand.

puppyrjjkm 01-16-2010 02:40 PM

Thanks, but does aquarium sand still get in to filters?

rrcoolj 01-16-2010 03:03 PM

All sand can get into filters and claug them. If you don't have cichlids to kick it up then I wouldn't worry about it but keep the tube leading into the filter as close to the top as possible.

puppyrjjkm 01-16-2010 05:31 PM

Okay thanks, I may give it another try :)

Angel079 01-16-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrcoolj (Post 307134)
Play sand is not good for fish tanks.

Not to hijack this post: But why? I had play sand set up's in numerous sized tanks for yrs w/out any issues (not on the fish end nor on plants nor equipment).

Angel079 01-16-2010 06:29 PM

@puppyrjjkm
What will indeed help you on ANY kinda sand (play, pool, fish store) WASH it before adding it to the tank, I wash mine at least 5 times before adding it and that helps a LOT.

rrcoolj 01-16-2010 06:32 PM

I've seen people use play sand fine it just tends to be dirtier and harder to clean that's all.

Angel079 01-16-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrcoolj (Post 307262)
I've seen people use play sand fine it just tends to be dirtier and harder to clean that's all.

:dunno: I just use the normal gravel vac on my sand set ups and it looks just fine to me...Feel free to check out the pictures of the play sand tanks under my aquarium log but I don't see them being "dirty or bad" in any way;-)

rrcoolj 01-16-2010 06:59 PM

I mean initially lol sorry if im not clear. Im saying it usually takes longer to clean to prepare for the tank. Rinsing it and what not.