Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   HELLO from N. Arkansas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hello-n-arkansas-35406/)

Ladipyg 01-16-2010 11:10 AM

HELLO from N. Arkansas

Hello to all. I am new to this forum but I have had aquariums since I was 10 years old. I spent the last 36 years with saltwater and reef aquariums....but being recently divorced I sold all my livestock and moved on to the retirement phase of life and wanted to simplify.(I have retired at a relatively young age)

I find I miss having an aquarium more than I thought but I don't want to go thru the hassle of doing SW again...so I am finding my way back into the hobby via fresh water/ tropical fish/ planted aquarium.

I currently have a T-5 fixture with 8 -54 watt bulbs in it. It was going to be fine for saltwater corals and such so I am sure it will work for a planted tank. Since the fixture is 48" long I am thinking of going with a 75 gallon tank....I would really prefer a 120 for the larger foot print.

Planted-DEFINITELY. My only question is do I want a species tank or a community tank? I love the thought of having a couple hundred Cardinal tetras in a planted tank or Angel fish or Discus or...WHOOPS, there is the problem....how to chose?

So until I make up my mind and check to see what kind of pet shops are available in the Northern Arkansas, Southern Missouri area (I often travel as far as Springfield) I will get my fix by living vicariously thru the members here and looking at your tanks.

If you are from my general area (Harrison Arkansas to Springfield Missouri) let me know of the good places to go for quality fish. Thanks

aunt kymmie 01-16-2010 11:21 AM

Welcome to the forum, Ladipyg. We're glad you decided to join us and get back into the hobby!

Twistersmom 01-16-2010 11:38 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

mrdemin 01-16-2010 11:47 AM

Welcome to the forum... that light fixture is going to be WAY too much for freshwater FYI.

molliefan09 01-16-2010 11:58 AM

welcome to the forum!!

willow 01-16-2010 01:02 PM

hello and welcome.i hope you will be very happy here. :-D

Romad 01-16-2010 02:38 PM

Hi and welcome. A few hundred cardinal tetras sounds awesome.

I'd love to do something like that with my next tank which will be a 75 gallon. Unfortunately, I need it to house the monsters in my 45 gallon - they grew a lot faster and bigger than I anticipated (Rainbow Boesmanis and Green Tiger Barbs).

Let us know what you decide/.

dramaqueen 01-16-2010 02:44 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

iamntbatman 01-16-2010 07:39 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Ladipyg 01-17-2010 07:58 AM

I am so looking forward to getting started again. I have been cruising the craigslist in the area to find a tank. There aren't really any pet shops close to me, I think Springfield MO has the closest and that's about an hour away. I may just have to do some of this via mail. I like the thought of an acrylic tank cause they are so lightweight and I have had them in the past. Glass has a more forgiving nature, doesn't scratch as easily but weighs a ton. My 120 gallon glass was a bear to get out of the house when I sold it.

I LOVE looking at all the beautiful tank set ups...they are amazing.

I know that the T-5 set up I have is a lot of light but I figure since the bulbs are switched seperately into two groups I will start lighting with the Actinics and they add the Daylight bulbs for just 2 or 3 hours to get that "high noon" effect. There are also 14 LED moonlights so I will be able to enjoy the tank at night.