Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   28" Lighting Fixture and 23" tubes (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/28-lighting-fixture-23-tubes-35358/)

HollyinWA 01-15-2010 10:25 AM

28" Lighting Fixture and 23" tubes

I realized that my 55 gallon does not have the standard 55 gallon sized lighting fixture since it is taller and deeper than the standard and not as wide. I thought that the lighting fixture was 30" but that is the width of the tank. The fixture is 28" and the tube is 23". I am having trouble finding this size fixture. Does anyone know who carries them? Even though it would not look real good, if worse comes to worse, and I definitely do decide to go with live plants, I guess I could put a 30" fixture on there. It would not set within the frame though, but would set on the frame.

Thanks for any suggestions on who carries them. I have been looking online this morning. I may have overlooked it but have not found one yet.

Byron 01-15-2010 12:05 PM

Tubes come in 30-inch lengths, so if you can find a dual-tube fixture that takes a 30-inch tube, it would probably sit across the tank supported by the outer frame which is fine. A glass cover sitting inside the frame would work with this. I have one 30-inch 25w tube over my 33g and it is fine, so two over your 55g should work.

Alternatively there is T5 HO fluorescent. Depending upon the plants you want, and considering the water depth, this is a case where I would consider T5 HO lighting which will provide more intensity with just two tubes. This would be sufficient even with the smaller tubes like you now have, but you would need a new fixture. T5 tubes do not fit regular (T8, T12) fixtures, and vice versa.

Either way means new fixtures, and possibly a different cover/top.

Byron.

HollyinWA 01-15-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 306606)
Tubes come in 30-inch lengths, so if you can find a dual-tube fixture that takes a 30-inch tube, it would probably sit across the tank supported by the outer frame which is fine. A glass cover sitting inside the frame would work with this. I have one 30-inch 25w tube over my 33g and it is fine, so two over your 55g should work.

Alternatively there is T5 HO fluorescent. Depending upon the plants you want, and considering the water depth, this is a case where I would consider T5 HO lighting which will provide more intensity with just two tubes. This would be sufficient even with the smaller tubes like you now have, but you would need a new fixture. T5 tubes do not fit regular (T8, T12) fixtures, and vice versa.

Either way means new fixtures, and possibly a different cover/top.

Byron.

Hi Byron,

I do know where I can get the 30" fixture online...either Dr. Foster's or Petsmart or Petco (can't remember if I saw the dual at Petsmart online or Petco online. I have a fixture now and a glass top, but it is only a one tube fixture. I did see the T-5 fixtures online. When you say "this will be sufficient even with the smaller tube(s) you have now", do you mean if I found the same size fixture and tubes....that if they were T-5's, the length (23") tubes would be fine with the T-5's? Boy, I hope that question made sense.

Thanks.

~Holly

Angel079 01-15-2010 04:19 PM

I'm not sure I'm following this properly here:
You have a single light strip which you wanna replace with a double 23" strip light? Is that correct? But you say you can't find the light strip nor bulbs?

I know for fact Lowes has 24" double strips, so either see if these would fit under your existing hood, or shop around home stores for 23" one's. Worst case I'd put a double 18 or 20" in there that'll work too.

Jill0 01-15-2010 04:38 PM

Are you measuring the "tips" of the bulb? I think you should include those and that the 23" tubes are packaged as 24" tubes. The same size that fit into our 29g tanks, and also over one of our 75g tanks (2x), but if I remember right, measuring just the glass of the bulb, I would get 23". Our Petsmart / Petco's carry them (packaged as 24") but you can also get them less expensively at Home Depot or Lowes. Just save your receipt, but I think this would be the correct size and work for your tank.

HollyinWA 01-15-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 306685)
I'm not sure I'm following this properly here:
You have a single light strip which you wanna replace with a double 23" strip light? Is that correct? But you say you can't find the light strip nor bulbs?

I know for fact Lowes has 24" double strips, so either see if these would fit under your existing hood, or shop around home stores for 23" one's. Worst case I'd put a double 18 or 20" in there that'll work too.

Hi, Sorry for the confusion. My tank currently has a 28 inch fixture that has one 23" tube. I measured the tube from egde to edge (there is metal I believe on the edges), not out to where the prongs are.

I need to upgrade my lighting to a dual fixture, so I was going to get the 30" dual fixture. I then realized that my fixture is a 28" fixture and if I want it to set on top of the tank like the one does now....not laying on the frame of the tank but right within the frame, I would have to get the same sized fixture.....28". I cannot find them for some reason...not yet anyway. So, I am thinking of just getting the 30" standard fixture that can have two 24" tubes and let it set on the frame a little on each side like Byron's does on one of his tanks. I know this is not ideal for looks but probably won't be that noticiable.

The only other thing I could do, but really don't want to have two fixtures on top, is get a 30" fixture that holds just one 24" tube, and set it behind the one I have. I have done this before for more light but it is not the best look. I don't think the double tube fixture would be that much more anyway, and I would have to replace the tube I have anyway because it is not the right type.

Thanks!

HollyinWA 01-15-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill0 (Post 306693)
Are you measuring the "tips" of the bulb? I think you should include those and that the 23" tubes are packaged as 24" tubes. The same size that fit into our 29g tanks, and also over one of our 75g tanks (2x), but if I remember right, measuring just the glass of the bulb, I would get 23". Our Petsmart / Petco's carry them (packaged as 24") but you can also get them less expensively at Home Depot or Lowes. Just save your receipt, but I think this would be the correct size and work for your tank.

Hi, and thanks. :) I measured from edge to edge, nt to the "tips" "prongs". What size is your fixture on your 29 gallon tank. I am wondering if anywhere sells the 30" fixtures separately. They may only have sizes down from that and not 30". I think I have an oddball sized fixture. It is not the common shaped 55 gallon.

HollyinWA 01-15-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill0 (Post 306693)

P.S. Looks like you are a horse lover like me! Your miniatures are beautiful! We have the opposites....LOL I have the draft and you have the minis! I have two regular sized horses as well.....Fox Trotter and Quarter horse. I love all kinds and all sizes!

Angel079 01-15-2010 08:10 PM

I'd just really cruise around the various home stores and get a fixture that sits within like the single one you have now; just a double fixture and the matching bulbs to it. I don't think its a problem finding them.

beetlebz 01-15-2010 09:04 PM

i think the ladies are correct here. 23" bulbs i believe would be packaged as 24". a 30" fixture is a fixture for a 30" tank.... which could well be 28". I just measured my 29g light, which is a 30" fixture, and its about 28.5"