Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Aquarium Backgrounds (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/aquarium-backgrounds-35343/)

HollyinWA 01-14-2010 09:51 PM

Aquarium Backgrounds

I have not had a lot of different backgrounds over the years. I was wondering what type of background you all think shows the fish off the best. When I had a 100 gallon Cichlid tank I had the crush coral (I believe that was what it was called - light colored sand) and lava rock, a few fake plants and a dark blue background. It was a plexi-glass (sp?) tank so there were no seams or frame. The stand was a medium dark wood and it all looked well together.

The 55 gallon tank I have now has the tan rocks/with the brown with black specks Flourite at the bottom which will get mixed in eventually. This tank has the black framing and the stand is kinda contemporary which is not my favorite and has black poles for the front legs and the inside of the stand has a cherry wood type color....can't remember what they call it. It has a smoky glass door which basically looks black. I was unsure if the blue would look well. If have noticed with the regular blue backgrounds that come on the backside of the black it looks sky blue when the light is off and darker blue when it is on. The blue I had before was a darker blue all together....kinda darker on the bottom than the top. I can't find those around here. I am not sure if the sky blue will look well with the setup since I have the tan rocks and this particular stand....kind of hard to explain why I don't think it will be the best match. It would look ok though, I guess, when the lights are on which will be everyday obviously. I already bought the background thinking I will use the black side since the tank has the black frame and the stand does as well. However, I am now unsure if I want to use black and thought maybe I should look into some other look.

I was looking online at different backgrounds and was wondering what you all thought shows the fish the best. My tank is taller in height so if I got the plant scene it would be harder if I cannot find the right scene in the right height.

Thanks.

aunt kymmie 01-14-2010 09:54 PM

All my tanks have black backgrounds. To me that is the one color in a freshwater tank that will always make the colors of fish and plants *pop*.

HollyinWA 01-14-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 306353)
All my tanks have black backgrounds. To me that is the one color in a freshwater tank that will always make the colors of fish and plants *pop*.

Thanks, I am glad you encouraged me. I have always liked the black or the very dark blue, but then when I was looking at a lot of tanks on here I saw a lot of other types that looked good too. I definitely think the black would look better with my setup and color scheme than the blue. Thanks again!

aunt kymmie 01-14-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyinWA (Post 306355)
Thanks, I am glad you encouraged me. I have always liked the black or the very dark blue, but then when I was looking at a lot of tanks on here I saw a lot of other types that looked good too. I definitely think the black would look better with my setup and color scheme than the blue. Thanks again!

You're more than welcome. Your tank is going to look fantastic, you're putting alot of forethought into it!

PRichs87 01-14-2010 10:04 PM

im all about black, and if you saw a recent thread, you can get a window tint at walmart pretty cheap that sticks to your tank, instead of taping it!

Angel079 01-14-2010 10:05 PM

Yup I second that totaly, dark background make the colors pop more, I either get a dark blue (like metallic look almost) or black, like black window tint and apply it to the back of the tank.
I also find the plants look better that way.
I recently used on of these rocky-planted poster things on one of my 10g's....It's coming down with the next larger w/c and exchanged by window tint its too much "fuzz" in the background.

Angel079 01-14-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRichs87 (Post 306362)
im all about black, and if you saw a recent thread, you can get a window tint at walmart pretty cheap that sticks to your tank, instead of taping it!

:lol: wonder where you read that from :lol:

HollyinWA 01-14-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 306365)
:lol: wonder where you read that from :lol:

I bet I know.....;-)....you are a very good improviser...I can tell. You also seem like you may be mechanically inclined as well. I have a little bit of that too (the mechanical part)...got it from my dad.

HollyinWA 01-14-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRichs87 (Post 306362)

Thanks for the response and that is a good idea. I already bought the regular kind that you have to tape, but I will remember that.

HollyinWA 01-14-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 306361)
You're more than welcome. Your tank is going to look fantastic, you're putting alot of forethought into it!

Thank you! I love pretty things and love to create. I see all kinds of great looking tanks on here. My problem is, I love all kinds of looks and will end up wanting several tanks to have several looks and not only several looks in decor but several different kinds of fish. Gee, I really have the addiction starting all over again. If it is not one thing it is another with me. Good thing I am not a substance user. LOL