Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Vivariums and Reptiles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/)
-   -   Advice on frogs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/advice-frogs-35311/)

1stAquarium 01-14-2010 11:05 AM

Advice on frogs
 
Hi, I am looking into getting a frog or two in the future, and would like to know if there are any partially aquatic or fully aquatic frogs which may be able to be kept with fish. I have read about the African Dwarf Frog, I am just wondering if there are any other smallish options?
Any info. would be much appreciated!

Angel079 01-14-2010 10:16 PM

To keep within the tank: African Dwarf frogs. However that does depend on your stock of fish there eg. aggressive or large fish.
They should be kept around 75F so make sure you have no super tropical fish there that need Temps of 85F. And they need a pH around the ranges of 7-7.2.
They're very small guys even fully grown their body is less then 1" and the tiny legs stick out maybe 0.5" if that much at all.
If you look to the left under my name here on the tap "Aquariums" half way down you'll find my tank named "African dwarf frogs" for pictures of them guys.

FrogHerder 01-15-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stAquarium (Post 305927)
Hi, I am looking into getting a frog or two in the future, and would like to know if there are any partially aquatic or fully aquatic frogs which may be able to be kept with fish. I have read about the African Dwarf Frog, I am just wondering if there are any other smallish options?
Any info. would be much appreciated!

Don't really know of anything aquatic/semi-aquatic that will compare size-wise to ADF's. Next step up would probably be something like a Leopard Frog. Problem with that is they're very likely to treat smallish fish as food. In the wild, they're a cold water species so probably even more limitations when choosing tank mates. Imagine they'd also be something of an escape hazard for the average aquarist.

We're nuts about our ADF's. Our little male sings as part of his begging routine (or if you're sitting close to the tank, and he just wants your attention or when he wants the female's attention). They're fairly social little critters (esp. once they mature). Would highly recommend getting a M/F pair as a minimum. Due to the way their eyes sit up on their heads, they can't see what they're eating and sometimes they try to eat rocks. Avoid substrate that will fit in their mouths.

1stAquarium 01-15-2010 07:23 AM

Thank you guys. I was thinking maybe a couple of african dwarf frogs in my 17US gal with my male betta and neon tetras, would that work? They are completely aquatic right?

Angel079 01-15-2010 09:03 AM

I'd prop not get any more then 4-5 in this tank size. And yes completely aquatic.

molliefan09 01-15-2010 09:19 AM

i house 2 ADF with my male betta and they do GREAT!! i love my little guys and they are completely spoiled!

1stAquarium 01-15-2010 10:50 AM

I may end up keeping my 5 WCMMs in the tank along with the 6 neons and 1 male betta assuming they all get along with their strong personalities! Would there still be enough room for a couple of ADFs? I don't want to get them if they're going to be overcrowded.
I will also have an 8 US gal tank free, but it is quite tall, would this be adequate for ADFs or not? I am thinking it might be a little cramped with it being a tall tank rather than a long one.

FrogHerder 01-15-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stAquarium (Post 306585)
I may end up keeping my 5 WCMMs in the tank along with the 6 neons and 1 male betta assuming they all get along with their strong personalities! Would there still be enough room for a couple of ADFs? I don't want to get them if they're going to be overcrowded.
I will also have an 8 US gal tank free, but it is quite tall, would this be adequate for ADFs or not? I am thinking it might be a little cramped with it being a tall tank rather than a long one.

There are people here with much more experience as far as stocking levels for the 17gal. Just how tall is your 8 gal? ADF's don't have to surface very often, and they are strong swimmers. We keep ours in a 20g long, which is a shorter tank, mainly because there's more bottom area for them to utilize (which is a recipe for happier frogs, but probably not completely necessary to their survival).

Be careful of not having alot of bubbles at the top, or excessive currents. They sometimes nap at the surface, especially when they're getting ready to shed. They like having some kind of structure to snuggle up under when they do it- floating plants, behind the tank heater or filter. Your filter intake will need some type of screen to keep them from getting limbs sucked in. Lots of structure/cover/plants, no bubbles, and soft currents and you'll have contented frogs.

1stAquarium 01-15-2010 05:24 PM

Thanks :)
Just been doing a bit of planning as to tank stocking and I'm thinking my 17 US gal could house my 5 white clouds, 2 cherry barbs and how many frogs (if compatible)?
Would one be lonely on its own?
And do they eat guppy fry?

FrogHerder 01-15-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stAquarium (Post 306715)
Thanks :)
Just been doing a bit of planning as to tank stocking and I'm thinking my 17 US gal could house my 5 white clouds, 2 cherry barbs and how many frogs (if compatible)?
Would one be lonely on its own?
And do they eat guppy fry?

1) The stocking levels? I just don't know. Hoping a more experienced member will chime in on this.

2) As far as compatibility with WCMM or barbs? I don't know. (See answer for #1)

3) Our ADF's interact quite a bit with each other. You'd really be missing half the fun of keeping them by only getting one, IMO. Most of what I've read on them also indicates they are almost always better off with some company as long as the M/F mix is right. (keeping two males in very cramped quarters could cause some aggression).

4) They're very clumsy, but they are ambush predators. They'll try to eat anything small enough that passes too close to their mouths - including their own tadpoles and small fish fry.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2