Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish that do well solo (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-do-well-solo-35307/)

HollyinWA 01-14-2010 09:31 AM

Fish that do well solo
 
What type of fish do really well without another one of their kind in a community tank? I feel sorry for some fish that end up not having another one of their kind. I even feel sorry for the three male platties that I have without having females. I did not start to get concerned on this until later....after I got them. It seems like the older I get the more concerned I get for everything, and I have always had a soft heart for all animals.

Jill0 01-14-2010 09:35 AM

I've had good luck with male bettas in a community tank, and also dwarf gouramis (though I wouldn't recommend them in the same community as a male betta).

HollyinWA 01-14-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill0 (Post 305871)
I've had good luck with male bettas in a community tank, and also dwarf gouramis (though I wouldn't recommend them in the same community as a male betta).


Thanks. Those are two that I have heard that does well solo with other fish. I am wondering if there are some others. Oh, that is good to know not to have the betta in with the gouramis. For some reason I did not know that. Is it because both like to swim near the top and they get territorial? I think I have only had one betta before in a community tank.

Angel079 01-14-2010 09:47 AM

I'd not feel sorry for the platy, once they have some gals in there and a TON fry - They won't feel sorry for you neither if you try battle a overstocked tank :-)

I'd also think of Betta, Dwarf Gourami alone. The only other one I could think of having alone is a Pleco.
Most fish (like the 95% majority) enjoys company of their own...how they're often kept is a whole nother story lol

HollyinWA 01-14-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 305884)
I'd not feel sorry for the platy, once they have some gals in there and a TON fry - They won't feel sorry for you neither if you try battle a overstocked tank :-)

I'd also think of Betta, Dwarf Gourami alone. The only other one I could think of having alone is a Pleco.
Most fish (like the 95% majority) enjoys company of their own...how they're often kept is a whole nother story lol

Thanks, and you always make me laugh! :lol: That is why did did not get the females! I remember those days. I have never had platties (at least I don't think I did) but have had guppies and mollies as a kid and boy did they have the babies. I loved it then though. I never really was attracted to Platties as an older fish enthusiast, but now that i have them I am really enjoying them. They are happy fish and always busy! I like that. They make me laugh, especially one of the males.

The Pleco was the only other one I could think of. I am glad I asked. I also like the skinny type of algae eaters (don't know what they are called...been awhile since I had one...had Plecos as an adult) because if there are fake plants they can clean the smaller areas better....from what I recall. They are not as nice looking though.

~Holly

jaysee 01-14-2010 10:17 AM

What other fish are in the tank and how big is the tank?? If you don't have any small fish, a golden wonder killi could work. Definitely a solo fish, it'll partol the surface 90% of the time.

Angel079 01-14-2010 10:32 AM

Glad I make you laugh, laughing is good for the soul :-)

Hmm maybe the other 1's yo have in mind are Otocinclus Catfish - Googel them. They do better in small group thou (like 5 or so) I LOVE them lil buggers, very cute 1's :-)

HollyinWA 01-14-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 305905)
What other fish are in the tank and how big is the tank?? If you don't have any small fish, a golden wonder killi could work. Definitely a solo fish, it'll partol the surface 90% of the time.

Actually, it is my new 55 gallon tank that I have not stocked it yet other than having to move my daughter's fish over from cycling her 14 gallon. Long story. At first I was not going to keep the Platties and the Tetra's in the 55 gallon tank once I get my daugher's tank under control, but I think the Phontom Tetras, in particular, do better in a bigger tank. The Platties seemed to look happy even in the 14 gallon. I was not really planning on having Platties in my 55 gallon community tank but they are so darn happy in there (more so than in the 14 gallon) that I don't know if I have the heart to put them back in the 14 gallon tank. I really did not want three platties to begin with but they talked me into getting three since they like to school together. I will keep the Phontom Tetras in the 55 gallons for sure, even though I may not have gotten them when I go to stock it. I believe I am going to do Angels for my main fish...perfect tank for them....taller than the standard 55 gallon. My pH is not as low as what is suggested, but I have had very good luck with Angels in the past with water over 7.0. I even had them spawn. I will be adding more drift wood which can aide in softening the water over time. I am not 100% sure yet what I want to go with.

I don't even know what a Golden Wonder Killi looks like. I will have to look them up. Thanks!

HollyinWA 01-14-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 305912)
Glad I make you laugh, laughing is good for the soul :-)

Hmm maybe the other 1's yo have in mind are Otocinclus Catfish - Googel them. They do better in small group thou (like 5 or so) I LOVE them lil buggers, very cute 1's :-)

They are cute! I think those are the ones I saw at Petsmart. They look a little different than the ones I had in the past. They look cuter. My tanks are not ready for them yet, but I am thinking of maybe getting those kind instead of a pleco. I can look, but how big do those get?

HollyinWA 01-14-2010 10:51 AM

Ok, it looks like they get 2 inches. I probably would not want more than 2 or 3, but is that enough for them?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2