Tropical Fish Keeping banner

heater issue... i think?!

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  bearwithfish 
#1 ·
yesterday i moved all the guppies to my wife's 29 gal temporarily so i can start the build on my 29 (guppies will be back in my tank until either i re home them or i set up the major build in the dining room (i will make a thread on this later. how ever i noted that the heater in the 20 the guppies came from was a bit small for a 29 so thinking i just took down the platy tank i would just use two heaters.. this all sounds logical and good in my eyes and as i am building slowly i am just getting everything in place until i clean the rest of the sand.. then it hits me, hey this heater just made a really odd sound...... i look and the inside has springs in little glass tubes... the ends of a few of the tubes are broken!!!!!!! now not wanting to start a fire or get the shock of a life time i decided to write here and ask if this heater can still be used?????
the outer glass shows no damage just a few of the small inner glass tubes that house the springs...
please some one let me know so i can plan an adjust my build

#2 ·
You mean like the heating core inside is busted? If the glass ain't broken it won't shock you or anything, thou if the heater core is busted, it ain't gonna heat your water any more.

#3 ·
thats what i was afraid of.. inside of the heater is a series of springs that are inside of more glass tubes... the bottom of those tubes are whats broken.. i will try to find a pic of the heater and post it so you can see the parts i mean...

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure I know what you mean...sounds like a busted heater to me :-(

But now that you're gonna have your 4in1 set up....what does 1 less heater matter :)

#7 ·
If the inside glass (inside the big glass) is busted, it sure won't shorten nothing out or fry you....you can try it...odds are it won't heat any more.

#13 ·
I agree. If there was enough of a rapid temperature change to cause internal components to crack, there could be fractures in the outer glass you aren't seeing, which could expose the guts of the heater to water and cause an electrical shock. Not worth the risk, if you ask me.

#10 ·
Don't get frustrated...just get a new one, proper sized wattage for a 29g and be done with it. You said it was kinda too small anyway....It happens....don't let that get ya :)

#11 ·
in case you have not noted i am not exactly a patient person....lol....I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!! ahahahahaahaha
but i will wait untill next week and get one this give me a bit more time to clean my sand and consider decoration options and get my filter up and running.... i just dont want to seed the tank with out the heater going.....*deep breath* ok i can wait.... i can wait..... is it next week yet???? LOL

#12 ·
NAW YOU.....Mr Patient ~ You're the impersonated patience in my eyes .... duck & cover before he beats me up now

You can seed it w/out heater, I done that more then once, as long as the tank is @ room Temp and not some freezing basement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.