Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   W/C Straight from tap? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/w-c-straight-tap-35253/)

MrBishop 01-13-2010 03:25 AM

W/C Straight from tap?

hey guys, just wondering when i do my weekly WC do i need to leave the water come to room temp or cam i use it cold from tap?

iamntbatman 01-13-2010 04:35 AM

You should adjust the water temperature coming out of the tap so that it's as close as possible to your tank water temperature. Human beings are surprisingly accurate at relative temperature comparison, so you can just stick one hand in a cup of the tank water you've removed and another in the water coming from the tap and you should be able to adjust the tap temperature to be very close to the tank temperature.

bearwithfish 01-13-2010 07:14 AM

i use a digital thermometer from Wally world ($5) and match it perfectly... unless i am intending to induce breeding then i go about 3-4 degrees colder to simulate a rain storm...

JohnnyD44 01-13-2010 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 305139)
you should adjust the water temperature coming out of the tap so that it's as close as possible to your tank water temperature. Human beings are surprisingly accurate at relative temperature comparison, so you can just stick one hand in a cup of the tank water you've removed and another in the water coming from the tap and you should be able to adjust the tap temperature to be very close to the tank temperature.

+1 :-p

MrBishop 01-13-2010 07:31 AM

ok thanks guys.

mrdemin 01-13-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 305139)
You should adjust the water temperature coming out of the tap so that it's as close as possible to your tank water temperature. Human beings are surprisingly accurate at relative temperature comparison, so you can just stick one hand in a cup of the tank water you've removed and another in the water coming from the tap and you should be able to adjust the tap temperature to be very close to the tank temperature.

+2
My thermo rarely ever shows a 1-2 degree change.
Dont forget to use conditioner if its coming straight from tap, I use Prime based on many recommendations. A lot of people use AmQuel+ I think as well?

rsheets 01-13-2010 10:23 AM

Novaqua plus is better than amquel plus for this type of use but they recomend using them at the same time. Novaqua+ does better at removing the chlorine durring a WC. Per the on site Doc. for the Kordon company.
+1 for everyones comments on this as well.

MrBishop 01-13-2010 11:28 AM

yeah i use AquaSafe. is that ok? also what is EasyBalence by Tetra?

Byron 01-13-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBishop (Post 305330)
yeah i use AquaSafe. is that ok? also what is EasyBalence by Tetra?

Tetra's Easy Balance is a chemical you add to an aquarium to avoid doing water changes. In other words, forget it.

It has to be used weekly, and it is not inexpensive. As for what is supposedly does [cited from their website]:
This liquid offers a number of benefits, including: reduction of phosphate; stabilization of pH and KH; and replenishment of essential vitamins, trace elements and minerals. It keeps aquarium water biologically balanced for up to 6 months.
I am very skeptical of any additive that can keep an aquarium biologically balanced. First, the partial water change removes urine and liquified waste that cannot be removed by any other means that I am aware of, so if this product does eliminate water changes I'd like to know how it removes urine. I would suspect they are talking nitrates, which is a very different thing. Their warning elsewhere that the tank must be well oxygenated also makes me wonder how this "works." Rather than debate its effectiveness, it is more useful to weigh the detrimental effects.

Your fish are in an enclosed environment. What you put in the water, they cannot escape from. In nature they can avoid toxins and chemicals by swimming away; but in the aquarium, they cannot escape from what you put in the water. Add to this the fact that every chemical and substance added to the water, be it conditioner, fertilizer for plants, ammonia detoxifier, this stuff, whatever...all of it will affect the fish and biology, whether for good, or bad. My advice, shared I believe by many aquarists, is don't add something you don't really need. Water conditioner we use because there is chlorine etc. in the tap water and it would within seconds kill the fish. But there is no need to add this stuff, when a weekly partial water change will certainly provide the biological balance they claim, and with no negative consequences to the fish and plants (if any).

There is another similar product by another manufacturer, forgotten the name just now, but a while back someone was using it and it significantly raised the ammonia in the tank. This is just another reason not to use these "wonder" drugs. As in science, every action has a reaction.

Byron.

iamntbatman 01-13-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBishop (Post 305330)
yeah i use AquaSafe. is that ok?

AquaSafe is fine, but you need a fair amount of it to condition your water. I switched from AquaSafe to Prime mainly as a cost saving measure.