Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Little Snails are appearing (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/little-snails-appearing-35238/)

HollyinWA 01-12-2010 10:37 PM

Little Snails are appearing

I saw a little snail that appeared the other day in my new 55 gallon tank and then I saw another one and I think there is a very tiny one that is on a piece of driftwood. I have never had this happen before. I have had driftwood before in the past, but mainly lava rock. I don't think they are coming from the plants since I have the snail free ones and they never appeared in my daughter's tank. I think they must be coming from the driftwood. I asked the LFS owner how I should wash it (could not remember how I did before) and she said to just rinse it. That is what I did.

How many of these snails could show up? I certainly do not want an infestation. Should I take out the driftwood out and rinse it again or is there anything else I can treat it with to make sure the snails do not appear. I have one large piece and one small and the platties love the driftwood so I really would like to take care of it quick and then get it back in there. How big do these kind of snails get? I almost took the two out that are big enough to get but me and my soft heart couldn't. Can you believe I feel bad for snails. I liked them when I was a kid....brother took me up the road in a wagon and he collected snails in the neighbors' yards and put them in with me in the wagon (loads of them) and we went back home and said, "Look mom, what we have." :lol:

Angel079 01-12-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyinWA (Post 304971)
I don't think they are coming from the plants since I have the snail free ones

I donno WHERE at you shop, but there's no such thing then snail free plants:lol: if there's even 1 or 2 single lil eggs attached, you wouldn't even see them at all. Give that a good environment and a few weeks fish food et volia snails in tank multiply :-D

Don't worry!!! They're actually very beneficial in helping clean your tank.
And its a LONG way to go before you have a infestation if ever. I'd suggest leave them there, they're good & beneficial so why take them out? And sometimes even fun to watch too. If they really SHOULD get to a amount that you don't like, toss in a slice of cucumber on a fork over night, take it back out covered in snails next day and done. But like I said, they're good little helpers, don't hurt your plants, don't hurt your fish - Its natural its good, no worries. And they stay real small like less then .5"

HollyinWA 01-13-2010 12:04 AM

Thanks. :) I did think that they would be good and very natural, but I had a vision of a huge investation....them coming out of the wood works constantly. I thought maybe it was the driftwood since that is where I first saw them. I got the plants at Petsmart in the plastic containers which said Snail Free. They have not appeared in my daughter's tank and she has more plants than this one. The real tiny one that is in the 55 gallon is on the driftwood. I won't worry about it now. I would not like to take them out. I would feel bad for them. I would only be concerned if there were way too many.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 305028)
I donno WHERE at you shop, but there's no such thing then snail free plants:lol: if there's even 1 or 2 single lil eggs attached, you wouldn't even see them at all. Give that a good environment and a few weeks fish food et volia snails in tank multiply :-D

Don't worry!!! They're actually very beneficial in helping clean your tank.
And its a LONG way to go before you have a infestation if ever. I'd suggest leave them there, they're good & beneficial so why take them out? And sometimes even fun to watch too. If they really SHOULD get to a amount that you don't like, toss in a slice of cucumber on a fork over night, take it back out covered in snails next day and done. But like I said, they're good little helpers, don't hurt your plants, don't hurt your fish - Its natural its good, no worries. And they stay real small like less then .5"

Angel079 01-13-2010 10:16 AM

Naw, like I said, don't worry, even then not when there's some dozen plus in it I'd not worry. And like I said if its getting too much for your taste - Cucumber :-)

HollyinWA 01-13-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 305225)
Naw, like I said, don't worry, even then not when there's some dozen plus in it I'd not worry. And like I said if its getting too much for your taste - Cucumber :-)

Thanks!......and the way you ended with "Cucumber" made me :lol: