Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   my guppy adults and fry ..coment if you want!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/my-guppy-adults-fry-coment-if-35202/)

fryup 01-12-2010 01:57 PM

my guppy adults and fry ..coment if you want!!!

hi all, my first post ....i want to know and talk about a few things.....

i bought 2 female guppys they were yellow with the round tail and a blue male that has a long triangular tail .....after 2 weeks the first female droped 4 babys .....just 4 and 2 were joined together , unfortunatly they didnt make it ....the other 2 babys are still here but FIRST QUESTION is 1 of the babys is almost twice as big as the other ....then the other adult female i had ...droped and she had 12 ...all in good shape and all still alive to this day .....does anyone know y the 1 guppy baby has become so big, so fast ???

any replys will be welcomed

....on a bad note the 2 adult females died due to swim bladder and never got to meet there babys which were mover to the main tank on christmas eve ....thanks :):):)

rsheets 01-12-2010 03:17 PM

It may be a female. The females are larger then the males. Or it may be eating better.

fryup 01-12-2010 03:40 PM

actually i know ALL of the babys are female...none of them have the modified anal fin...(i forget what its called) but i definatly know there all girls and they all eat well except one that dosnt eat as much...shes called tiny ....for obviouse resons:):):)

iamntbatman 01-12-2010 05:28 PM

Guppies don't start showing differences between the sexes until they're a bit larger, so some of your fry may yet turn out to be male.

fryup 01-13-2010 03:14 AM

oh....ihope they stay female coz i had 14 babys and i gave 6 away to a friend saying they were girls

either way there healthy and what ever they are it will be ok :):):)

biokid101 01-14-2010 06:25 PM

im still waiting for mine to give birth. i have had her seperated for about 4 days now! and she is fat and just doesnt wanna give birht.dont worry. im not a psyco who doesnt know what to do with the babies. go to "guppy questions and talk!?!?!?!

fryup 01-15-2010 07:31 AM

i didnt like the idea of moving the female into ...like a breeder net/trap...so when i knew she were close to the birth i kept a close eye on the tank and when she was givinn birth i quickly caught the babys witha net as they were born and moved them into a breeder net ...:):):)

this way it was less stress on the female and the babys couldnt be eaten because i caught them straight away.:)

redchigh 01-20-2010 11:14 AM

I've never seen a guppy give birth. I've spent almost a whole day watching, saw nothing. went to the bathroom, came back, and there were 10 fry. Dont even know which female was the mother because they're all pregnant :/

fryup 01-20-2010 01:02 PM

it was just a stroke of luck that i witnessed it....i first saw a tiny baby swimming by the surface, then looked and the female was giving birth ...it was something amazing

biokid101 01-21-2010 03:08 PM

same here i put the wrong female into another tank and i was looking at another one and saw her give birth. first time i ever saw that and it was amazing! i dont have a breeders box i have a net but i never used it.