Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hey, I'm new too! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hey-im-new-too-35171/)

ltkettch17 01-11-2010 08:56 PM

Hey, I'm new too!

Hey all,

Just thought I'd take the time to say hello.

I've been keeping fish for about 18 years now and I'm not looking back. I'm on my third tank now, but I've never had anything bigger than a 29 gallon. I've never had any fish that I would consider especially challenging or amazing in any way. Basically, I like the "natural" look with a lot of small fish swimming between the plants and rocks. I've got some plans for some future tanks, but I currently don't have the time, money, or space to do anything more than just plan.

Check out my current build here. Like I said, nothing too exciting. Your basic 29 gallon tank, under-gravel filter, silk plants, fake decorations. I'm starting to get a little too much algae for my taste, but I guess that can happen to a tank that's been running for more than 6 years and been moved once.
Right now there's a large Male Gourami, 1 male Congo Tetra and 2 females, a mature male and female swordtail with 5 fry all about a month apart, and a single dwarf pleco (12 fish total). I feed flakes in the morning and in the evening, although I alternate evening feedings with a freeze dried multi-pak cube. Maintenance wise, I do a 10 gallon water change every two weeks. This seems to be pretty successful; I know I should probably do it every week but I'm lazy, okay?

Check out my tank and let me know what you think!

dramaqueen 01-11-2010 09:13 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

aunt kymmie 01-11-2010 09:46 PM

Welcome to the forum, ltkettch17. I just had a look at your tank. It's a beautiful set up. :-)

mrdemin 01-11-2010 09:48 PM

Any tank that houses healthy fish is a good tank! Oh, welcome to the forum ;)

stephanieleah 01-12-2010 12:58 AM

Welcome, and I love your tanks. Silk plants, huh? They look nice. And I think your fish are amazing : )

iamntbatman 01-12-2010 01:22 AM

Welcome to the forum! Very nice looking tank you've got there.

willow 01-12-2010 02:29 AM

welcome.
nowt rong with silk plants in the right hands. :-D
i think the tanks beautiful.

Romad 01-12-2010 06:18 AM

Hi and welcome.

Agree with everyone else on the tank. Great job!

Twistersmom 01-12-2010 06:52 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum! Very nice looking tank and fish!

ltkettch17 01-12-2010 12:08 PM

Thanks all for the kind words.

My tank will probably under-go a slight re-scape in the next month or two. You cant tell by the pictures, but either the fish like to nibble on the silk plants, or the silk plants are just crap - but they are starting to show lots of wear. I'll be switching back to plastic plants, which don't look as nice but they last a lot longer.

I'll also be replacing my long overdue light bulb. When you don't have live plants, it's easy to let this one slide. However, looking back at some of my old pictures, I can really tell a difference in the quality of the lighting.