Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Poor Goldfish

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  GalaxyGirl 
#1 ·
#3 ·
No problem! :) I guess I didn't really include too much information on what the set-up should look like. I'd recommend at least a 3-4 gallon aquarium, although some say at minimum a 20 gallon tank with proper filtration and heating just for one, but that's really overkill. A small filter would greatly reduce your maintenance on the fish, just some cheapo would run maybe $7-$10. You are still required to make 20-25% water changes every week or so, as with all fish tanks. Just don't bother him and let the little guy rest for a while and he should be fine.

#4 ·
My wife talked me into buying a couple of Koi last year from a street vendor. I choose really cool looking ones, and I liked them, but they are far too dirty for an aquarium, plus I think they murdered my Blue Whales. So I wanted them gone, but I was very careful to make sure they got a good home. I could have given them to my nephew, but he is only 8 years old....so I gave them to a coworker who has a 1000 gal Koi pond in his backyard.

#6 ·
Goldfish are my all-time favourite fish...unfortunately our house gets too hot for them in the summer...so I've had to stop...

My 'rule of thumb' with the fancies is 10 g for one fish...and that you can go a wee bit less per fish after that...so my 25 g tank housed 3 comfortably...

I've now got the large survivor downstairs in the basement rec room in a 10 g tank...he's been there for about 3 years or longer (loosing track of time)...a few months ago I got him a friend...and they're both doing well since it's nice and cool and water temp. is stable...but I can see that the tank will soon be too small...

So, eventually they're getting the old 25 g back...and I might add a 3rd goldfish again (miss having a black moor)...

And the dojo I added last week is doing just fine! The only thing is that I need to get him a little cave of some sort...

One other note...the goldfish is obviously 'happier' with the introduction of his 'friend'...he's swimming more and doesn't swim upside down as much :shock: . I thought he had a swim bladder issue that wasn't resolving...but it wasn't getting worse...not sure why a buddy has improved his condition...

...heh...sorry for being anthropomorphic... :wink:

#10 ·
so i have been informed recently......... a fish excretes a chemical around it,which itself is like a growth hormone, the more room it has the more it will excrete. wen it starts to run out of space, the chemicals will b reduced and the fish will grow slower, eventually, once the fish really has no space to grow at all, the release of chemical becomes so small that the fish is therefore stunted, and will grow no larger, but this in itself is not healthy for the fish. all fish should have enuff space to max out in size, for health and happiness!!! correct me if am totally wrong on this, but i was informed by a pet store guy who has had fish for 20+ years :):):):)

#11 ·
My pal was given a 1 ft gold fish recently. It killed all but one of his others so he had to put it in his mother inlaws pond. Mind you this was in his 55 gallon. SO yeah they do get big and do need space to themselves.

#12 ·
Picklee said:
No problem! :) I guess I didn't really include too much information on what the set-up should look like. I'd recommend at least a 3-4 gallon aquarium, although some say at minimum a 20 gallon tank with proper filtration and heating just for one, but that's really overkill. A small filter would greatly reduce your maintenance on the fish, just some cheapo would run maybe $7-$10. You are still required to make 20-25% water changes every week or so, as with all fish tanks. Just don't bother him and let the little guy rest for a while and he should be fine.
I have to strongly disagree with this, Goldfish need at least 30 gallons with DOUBLE filtration, which means a filter that can work on a 60 gallon aquarium, and with all that you can only fit at maxiumum two goldfish in there. A 3-4 gallon aquarium is just as bad as a bowl and will stunt the fish while raising ammonia levels. Also you said a cheapo filter will reduce the maintanence?? Your kidding when you said that right, the better the filter, the less maintance, the better for the fish!

#14 ·
I agree

I agree with what you are saying I only started about 4 months ago I started with 2 fan tails. I was sensible enof to go onto the net for a few hours and read up finding out loads of info and how to properly care for them. The only reason people dont treat them well is because They are mainly purchased by begginers most of which havnt Thought twice let alone read a book on them. I think All thats needed is For the retailers to make people aware the fact that they are not easy to look after. I think once this is relized by beginners this will stop. Sorry to bore you guys buts that my opinion

#15 ·
"so i have been informed recently......... a fish excretes a chemical around it,which itself is like a growth hormone, the more room it has the more it will excrete. wen it starts to run out of space, the chemicals will b reduced and the fish will grow slower, eventually, once the fish really has no space to grow at all, the release of chemical becomes so small that the fish is therefore stunted, and will grow no larger, but this in itself is not healthy for the fish. all fish should have enuff space to max out in size, for health and happiness!!! correct me if am totally wrong on this, but i was informed by a pet store guy who has had fish for 20+ years"

I have a pretty hard time believing this. The growth hormone is the same in fish as it is in mammals (I think) released from the pituitary gland, controlled by the hypothalamus and secreted into the blood. I can't see any reason why a fish would secret a chemical around itself--that just does not make any evolutionary sense. I'd ask that guy to check his science. But it is certainly true that fish become stunted if kept in too small of a space.

#17 ·
scottysgirl said:
PS, Musho, I think Picklee is trying to make the best of a bad situation--a 3-4 gallon tank w/cheap filter is better than a 1/2-1 gallon bowl with no filter. I agree with you that they need more space, but unfortunately that is not how it works ou 99% of the time.
I understand that but why would you get a 3-4 gallon tank when you are just going to get a 30 gallon tank not long afterwards, saves you money if you immediatly just get the 30 gallon rather than do stepping stones

#18 ·
Well I'm sort of speaking in terms of beginners which mostly consist of little children because some how, gold fish are number one on the "Easiest Pet to Care For" list. Although I'm trying to make the best of a typically bad situation, I don't think beginner pet owners (i.e. children) are going to go out and buy a 30 gallon tank for themselves. Their parents probably wouldn't even do that.

#22 ·
Hi if you have 3 goldfish i would deffinatly recommed a 20 gallon. I easily took care of 3 fan tails in a 20 gallon with a good filter and every other week 20% 30ish% water changes, i kept them for about 2 years. I added another fish, had a disease, and they all slowly died, so foolish!! i felt really bad, and one of my fantails was 5 years old, and he was the first to go. But they all grew and did great in a 20 gallon.

#23 ·
I go by the 10 gallon to 1 goldfish rule, I dont think it applies to comets though. My friend who got me started has kept goldfish for years and she has successfully done that. Although recently she got some type of fluke, disease? I dont know. And she lost half her goldfish that she had for years and years =( But it makes me mad that people think goldfish are beginners pets, I wouldnt even keep one because they are hard to keep cold (southern CA, 100 here today) and they are too messy and grow big.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.