Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Oto Cat - What to feed? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/oto-cat-what-feed-35137/)

Hawkian 01-11-2010 09:27 AM

Oto Cat - What to feed?

OK so I think I have been somewhat stupid... :oops:

I have had some cyanobacteria in my tank for a bit and it looks like it's getting under control. I also had some green algae starting which by itself I did not see as a big deal. However, since I wanted to add a few more fish to the tank, I bought a small otocinclus catfish and added it to the tank. I had read that they eat almost exclusively algae and I figured he'd help reduce the small amounts of green algae in the tank.

The good news is: he is doing a fantastic job cleaning up the tank and I am hard-pressed finding algae in the tank now! The little critter is earning his keep! :-)

The bad "news": what's he going to eat now???:shock: I never thought he'd go through the algae so quick! So now what? Do I need to generate algae for him? I've read that most otos will mostly ignore algae discs (not that I've been able to find any locally). So now what?

Anyone out there with an oto know what to feed the little critters?

Angel079 01-11-2010 10:16 AM

Offer stuff like cucumber slices, blanched spinach, algae wafers, spirulinatablets ... More likely then not you'll have to offer any/ all these things a few times over & over before the Oto will start accepting it.

aunt kymmie 01-11-2010 12:16 PM

+1 on Angel's advice. My otos get a leaf of spinach in a clip in the evening and come morning it's nothing but a skeletonized leaf. Mine love spinach!

Byron 01-11-2010 02:13 PM

Mine eat regular tablet and pellet food that I put in for the Corydoras and Whiptail and Farlowella. I have always found that provided otos have algae at first (or they will starve), once they get it basically eaten they are quick to find the tablet food on the bottom. I have five otos in my 115g and I usually don't see them except during the moring feed when they are all lined up with the corys across the bottom, or waiting on low plant leaves, knowing the food is about to arrive.

Another comment, I would get one or two more if you want otos. They, like corys, are social shoaling fish that always fare better in groups, I've had good luck with just two. You have room, they are small fish. They will also readily spawn if you have male and female. I had three in a former 90g setup, then one day I noticed five, two slightly (but not much) smaller than the other three. I didn't add them, so spawning is the only option. The five I have now spawn frequently, though nothing has yet managed to survive.

Byron.

iamntbatman 01-11-2010 02:58 PM

If yours are particularly stubborn (or if you just want to add some variety to their diets) you can culture algae. Simply get a bowl of water, put a smooth, aquarium-safe rock in it and put it on a windowsill that gets a lot of sunlight. You can put some fish food in the bowl to serve as an ammonia source to feed the algae, and after a while you should have an algae-covered rock. You can put this in the tank for the fish to munch on. You could have two rocks so that you can rotate which one is in the tank and which one is growing algae in the bowl.