Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   My baby Platy is on its side (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/my-baby-platy-its-side-351233/)

willertac 02-14-2014 09:46 PM

My baby Platy is on its side

The Platy in question is about 6 months old, somewhat deformed (and I know the reason based on a previous question I had), in a 10 gallon with 2 other sisters and a snail at around 74 degrees, and has been pretty fine until now. I have performed a 100% water change recently, leaving the gravel and filter unwashed, and the other fry are still fine. I found it lying on its side but still breathing and barely responding to the net. Because I had put aquarium salt in the tank the mom and another Platy are in yesterday (because the mom is not looking too well either), I bagged the almost dead fry and after getting it used to the temp of Ray's (mom) 10g, I put him in, adding some stress coat afterwards. I did this about an hour ago, right when I found the fish on its side.
As stated, the other fish are showing no signs of stress and neither is the snail. Is there anything more I can do to help this fishy? Or is it too weak to go on?

Info on baby tank:
10g
Temp: (was 74) 70
PH: around 7.6
Ammonia: between .25 and 0
2 Platy fry, 1 mystery snail
A Marineland filter (unknown as to which one)

Ray's tank:
10g
Temp: 78 and rising (I'm stopping it at 82)
PH: hmm... 6.6
Ammonia: .25-0
2 adult platys, 1 Platy fry
Aqua-Tech 5-15

Tests used: API ammonia (NH3/NH4+) and PH liquid test kits

Flint 02-15-2014 08:59 AM

Do you know what your parameters were before the water change? Did you acclimate them when you put the fresh water in?

100% water changes aren't recommended, regardless of leaving the gravel and filter, because it takes 24 hours for gasses to be released from water which alters your pH. It could have also been a shock to their system if there was a decent amount of ammonia, nitrites or nitrates in the water and then all of a sudden none. Another reason acclimation is important.

willertac 02-15-2014 10:35 AM

I lost the baby and Ray. I found them next to each other. I've expirienced a lot of fish losses so I'm used to it, but this one was kind of sad.

I had the water tested prior to doing the water change and everything was normal (I got it tested at the pet store), the PH about the same. The other fish in that tank are still fine, as well as the snail. I'm thinking he was just weak; he swam frantically from the start, always laid on the gravel, and swam bent. Ray wasn't looking too good the past few days and I guess they just died together.

willertac 02-15-2014 10:41 AM

Do you think it is safe to put the remaining fish in the adults tank? I have somewhere else for the snail to go. I feel it is a waste to have only 2 tiny fish in a tank that had at one point 15 of them. Plus it will give my remaining adult company.