Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   some insight to my eheim jager heater/heating situation (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/some-insight-my-eheim-jager-heater-35108/)

.:brianlovesfishies:. 01-10-2010 08:53 PM

some insight to my eheim jager heater/heating situation

wondering if someone can give me some insight on my new heater:

had an odyssea heater for a while (a short while might i add), and the thing broke in less than a year...so needless to say, i wanted to buy good quality this time around...i decided to go with eheim jager which to my understanding is one of the higher quality brands (though arguable to some since they have changed ownership)...

at first, i bought the "older" 100w model which was deceptively packaged and possessed the visual appearance of being fully submersible...only to my surprise when reading over the instructions and closer inspection of unit, that it wasnt! so i exchanged it for the "newer" fully submersible one...life is good...

however, after installation, it hasnt seemed to turn off! the on/off light constantly stays on! i followed the instructions of pulling the button all the way out, adjusting my desired temperature, and pushing the button all the way in...i set the dial to 72F and my thermometer (placed on opposite side of heater in tank) read 78F...even though the temp did not drop or increase and stayed constant, it still alarmed me being more than what i set it to...also, this whole time, the on/off light has stayed on...

at this point, i unplugged it, pulled the button out, set the dial to 68F, and pushed the button back in...this time i saw the on/off light go off once...but the temp has stayed at a constant 76F...

am i calibrating/setting the heater incorrectly? is this unit defective? is my thermometer faulty? some insight to get to the bottom of this trouble shooting would be great...and sorry for the long post :oops:

Angel079 01-10-2010 09:36 PM

Have you installed it in you tank angled sideways? Or straight up-down?
Put it at an angle to the heat coming off doesn't mess with your thermostat in it here.
Also check your light, make sure its not right net to a light.
Also check the area AROUND the tank - Have a air vent right there blowing hot air right on that part of the tank can throw your heater off too.

.:brianlovesfishies:. 01-11-2010 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 303775)
Have you installed it in you tank angled sideways? Or straight up-down?
Put it at an angle to the heat coming off doesn't mess with your thermostat in it here.
Also check your light, make sure its not right net to a light.
Also check the area AROUND the tank - Have a air vent right there blowing hot air right on that part of the tank can throw your heater off too.

thanks for the advice...the heater is currently roughly at a 60 degree slant directly under my filter...to my understanding, there isnt much hot air being blown to any parts of my tank...

as it sits right now, the heater is still "dialed" to 68F, but the thermometer on the other side is reading 76F...what i dont get is the temp is VERY consistent, but not accurate (to what i dialed on the heater)...and the on/off light is STILL on!!! can anyone confirm whether or not this unit is defective? seems like the heater is being overworked being constantly on...any help is much appreciated!

Angel079 01-11-2010 10:55 AM

What tank size are you having there? What's the heaters wattage? And what's the room temp around the tank (more or less)?
Something ain't quite right there...yea the dial is not 100% accurate so let's say you dial it to 70 and the tank water will be 72 but NOT such a drastic diff then what you see there (set at 60- Measuring 76).

.:brianlovesfishies:. 01-11-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 304018)
What tank size are you having there? What's the heaters wattage? And what's the room temp around the tank (more or less)?
Something ain't quite right there...yea the dial is not 100% accurate so let's say you dial it to 70 and the tank water will be 72 but NOT such a drastic diff then what you see there (set at 60- Measuring 76).

my tank is 32.5g, the heaters wattage is rated at 100w, and the rooms temp is roughly around 65-68F at any given time...

thats exactly what i was thinking...heaters are not 100% accurate, but not to the degree that i am experiencing...also, just the on/off light being constantly on may be an indicator of something wrong...you think i should return the unit? any other jager owners care to share some tips?

Angel079 01-11-2010 01:19 PM

Hmmm all proper relations there in tank size, heater size etc

Here's what I'd try was this mine: Move the heater to another spot (or try 2 diff spots) in your tank, leave it at each spot for at least half a day see what happens (thermostat setting on tank vs thermometer in tank).
If both these 'fail' as you current set up I'd bring it back.

See like my heater is set at 79F by its scale and the tank measure 78F on the thermometer (which IMO 2-3F difference is fine by me)....there's here arr the heaters I have in my new tanks nowadays (no more Jaeger just simple for price reasons) Cascade Heaters, Heaters | Pet Solutions

.:brianlovesfishies:. 01-11-2010 04:13 PM

yeah, that sounds like my next plan of action before i return it...but i just figured maybe i could get some confirmation from other users regarding the light always staying on...doesnt seem normal to me

Angel079 01-11-2010 04:54 PM

Well let's hope someone with the same heater joins the thread too. I honestly can't think of a member from the top my head that has em too, sorry.

BadSpellar 01-11-2010 05:48 PM

These have some of the worst instructions of any heater I have. I did the same thing you did when I got mine. You pull the knob only if you want to recalibrate the temperature setting. Pulling the knob allows the dial to rotate freely from the thermostat. If you are just setting the desired temperature do not pull the knob, just rotate the dial.

To recalibrate the dial you need to measure the water temperature, pull the knob and rotate the dial to match the actual temperature. Next push in the knob to lock the dial to the internal thermostat. Now turn the dial (with the knob down) to the desired temperature. You may want to place the heater in a something smaller like a pitcher so it will heat up faster so you can check the setting. I like this feature because it allows you to fine tune the dial to the actual temperature.

rsn48 01-13-2010 08:44 PM

Also it is mildly possible your thermometer is defective, not your heater - unlikely but worth putting in warmer and cooler water, in a glass to see that it registers the changes.