Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   ideas for a themed tank please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ideas-themed-tank-please-35084/)

tommaso889 01-10-2010 02:45 PM

ideas for a themed tank please

hello all i am wondering about starting a themed tank and i would like some ideas all will be appreciated ...
a theme
fish that would fit into the theme and
size tank

thanks in advance

iamntbatman 01-10-2010 02:47 PM

What do you mean by themes? Like more outlandish ones like a pirate theme, or do you mean like natural biotopes?

tommaso889 01-10-2010 03:03 PM

urmm urmm like a country and then get fish that come from that one country or region if you get what i mean

iamntbatman 01-10-2010 03:08 PM

Well, a relatively common and easy to pull off one is an Amazonian tank. In something like a 75g, you could have a really nice mix of fish. A couple different small schools of corydoras catfish, some smaller plecos, a couple different types of dwarf cichlid, a few schools of tetras, perhaps a larger (peaceful) cichlid as the centerpiece, and some hatchetfish for the top levels. Plenty of driftwood and lots of plants (many species found in the region are available for your tank, like Amazon swords) completes the picture.

Angel079 01-10-2010 03:10 PM

You want a nice theme, googel image results for "takashi amano"...that's some kicker theme if you ask me.

iamntbatman 01-10-2010 03:12 PM

I could look at Amano's tanks all day. Not fish tanks...works of art. Those aquascapes belong in a museum somewhere.

So yeah, in other words, if you want an idea as to how to aquascape a tank according to a particular region, his stuff would be a really good place to get some inspiration.

tommaso889 01-10-2010 03:12 PM

thanks how many uk litres is 75g please and that sounds great

iamntbatman 01-10-2010 03:17 PM

It's about 284l. I'm not sure if that's a standard aquarium size in the UK. I chose that tank size because it's not quite gigantic (it's only four feet long) but it's still plenty big to have some really nice plants and a nice variety of fish. Of course, bigger is always better...

tommaso889 01-10-2010 03:22 PM

woah thats huge urrm thats too big for mee and im only 14 so its probably out of my price range so do you have another smaller tank size

PRichs87 01-10-2010 03:38 PM

A 29 gallon is a decent sized tank and isn't too expensive. You won't be able to get as large of fish, but dwarf cichlids and tetras can still be housed in this size.

Check out used tank prices in your area as they can usually be bought from people for much less than brand new tanks, just be sure to check for cracks and other damage.