Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - Filmy white stuff around female betta's mouth. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/filmy-white-stuff-around-female-bettas-349898/)
Filmy white stuff around female betta's mouth.
It's not fluffy or stringy, just like this... slimy white film.
Tiger is in a 20g long with live plants, sand, and flourish as well as driftwood and slate. She is also in the tank with 7 harlequin rasboras, 5 julii cories, and 4 neons (had 8 and they have mysteriously started to die without showing any signs of disease. they were eating just fine, color great, then next morning... dead)
Tank is kept at 74F with a 40g filter 171g/hr and a 100w heater. Digital thermometer.
Ammonia is <0.25
Nitrites are 0
Nitrates are ~20ppm if just a bit more. I am going to do a WC now to bring them down because I want them under 20, not looking like they're over.
All other fish are fine and I see no signs of this... stuff on them.
I'm not sure what this could be. I currently have Tiger separated in a large tuberware container floating in the water because I don't have a spare heater (or other tank)
-sigh- this just isn't my week. Neons keep dying for some strange reason and now my wonderful betta has this. I JUST came home and coudn't find her in the tank doing her daily routines and i ended up looking behind the driftwood and she was there kind of just floating midway down the tank which is NOT like her at all. ;-;
Noticed the sticky thing after I post. here....
1. Size of tank? 20g
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? <0.25
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? ~20ppm
d. pH, KH and GH? 7.6-7.8 / 9 drops / 12 drops
e. Test kit? API Master Freshwater
3. Temperature? 74F
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? About 2 months
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? 7 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Neon Tetras, BN Pleco, 5 False Julii Corys, Betta. The Harlequins, pleco, betta, and Corys I've had for about 3 weeks while the neons I just got last friday.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? Bag floating since the petsmart here uses the same city water as I do. The initial batch was not QTed, the new batch of neons and a fer harlequins were not either though I spent about 20 minutes watching them in the tanks at PetSmart.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Live plants
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Sand and Flourish
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Monopi and slate rock
9. a. Filtration? TopFin 40g 171g/hr filter
b. Heater? TopFin 100w
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? T8 6500k bulb on for about 8 hours each day
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? None
11. a. Water change schedule? Once a week or as needed based upon testing
b. Volume of water changed? 10-20%, usually however much it takes for me to fully clean the left over food and poop off the sand.
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap
d. Water conditioner used? Prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? I do not 'vacuum' my sand since it just gets... sucked up, but I do clean the debris off the very top of the sand.
12. Foods? API Tropical Greens, Omega One Protein formula, Omega one Veggie wafers, Zoomed Betta food, Froze bloodworms
How often are they fed? Twice a day, though thinking of cutting back to once a day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Aside from the current signs, nothing before today. Today she wasn't acting herself and of course the white film on mouth.
b. Appearance of poop? Normal, last I saw it.
c. Appearance of gills? Normal
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No except a WC that I did just now to bring Nitrates down
b. What meds were used? N/a
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.See OP. Tank picture can be seen in my signature.
Looks like columnaris or "cotton mouth" to me. It's a gram negative bacteria, Triple Sulfa should take care of it.
too late. she died during the night...
I bet it was one of those ******* neons that kept dying even though I got them all out as soon as i saw them. Yeah... I'm just going to return the 4 i have left to the store. Don't want to deal with them anymore.
I'm really sorry. /:
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh man! so sorry :(
guess i'll save up some a bit to invest in a small QT tank. not as big as a 10g, since i just have small fish, idk... whatever petsmart has the cheapest of. Get another dorky filter that takes the same pads and a cheap heater because I'm almost certain this woudn't have happened had I not put the neons in there.
The sad part is before i bought them i KNEW that they were squishy fish! I knew it was a bad idea. Did I listen to myself? Nope... and now I lost one of the best, derpiest fish I had.
A 10 gal is cheapest Petsmart has at $14.
Posted via Mobile Device
oh well, hah i guess that's what I'll be getting. I THINK I can slide it under my fish tank in the stand. It's definitally 12" high or more and is long enough to put it in there. I just don't know if it's wide enough. if it isn't hopefully that center beam of timber isn't too low so I can put the tank with the widest section facing out.
Maybe try craigslist? You can sometimes find a complete or partial setup for really cheap. As for filtration, I'd go with a sponge filter. Theyre cheap and awesome for supporting bio-load plus wont overwhelm sick, weak fish.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.