Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   silly cycling question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/silly-cycling-question-34968/)

molliefan09 01-08-2010 12:57 PM

silly cycling question

So, i purchased yet another aquarium last night. this makes 5.........in anycase this a a standard 55 gal. It is a used tank and still had some in habitents (2 common plecos) the guy i purchased it from broke it down for me but only saved me a little water to carry the plecos home in. I did test his water while i was there and all was good, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, and 10-20ppm nitrates. brought the tank and fish home got it set up with the old gravel and some muck from the undergravel filter (i removed this, dont like em) as well as the old filter and media which it came with(didnt let it dry out). I retested the water the plecos came in with a better test kit when i got home. the reading were about the same with the only difference being a slight trace of ammonia, just barley enough color to call it 0.25ppm. i attributed this with the hour long car ride home and having not one but TWO massive poopers and 2 algea waffers in the water with them.

here is my question(s):

today when i tested i had 0ppm nitrItes, 10-20ppm nitrAtes, and 1.0ppm ammonia....i didnt think nitrAtes showed up until AFTER the tank was done cycling?? so where does this put me with the cycle?? this tank isnt currently housing anyone

1077 01-08-2010 01:07 PM

Nitrates are proably from the mulm you kept from under the UG filter if you used it in the tank and small spike in ammonia ,can be remedied with water change or changes. Good idea to keep all filter material wet. Should not have much of mini cycle but Plecos will continue to tax the filtration and you may wish to find a new home for one or both.

molliefan09 01-08-2010 01:15 PM

i am rehoming one of the plecos....ultimatly this is my BF tank and he says he wants to keep one of the commons (trying to talk him into some sort of other catfish)

PRichs87 01-08-2010 06:56 PM

did you tell him the fact that the common will be a monster!?!?

molliefan09 01-08-2010 08:37 PM

yes i told him it would be a monster and THAT is why he wants to keep it. with the next year we are hoping to upgrade to a 100+ gallon tank for our new SA cichlid brood

Angel079 01-08-2010 09:32 PM

You addict! :-)
Just a lil mini cycle, give it few days all will be just fine. It happens, even if for any reason you take your current tank at home apart rework it all and then put it back together, can happen too.

molliefan09 01-09-2010 11:53 AM

thats what i thought, just wanted to make sure. and yes, i am addicted....it has rubbed off on my boyfriend....we literally spent ALL DAY yesterday going to every LFS and pet store with in a 20 mile radius

PRichs87 01-10-2010 01:37 AM

Monster plecos always make me laugh for some reason, I just feel like look so silly in the tank.... don't ask me why.

molliefan09 01-10-2010 10:09 AM

they freak me out....i love the little plecos.....but when they get big they just scare me.....i think they look funny and i just dont like it

Angel079 01-10-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molliefan09 (Post 303330)
they freak me out.....but when they get big they just scare me....

That's awesome. I heard people being scared of Oscars, but pleco? You'd not like sitting at my dining table then, watching my baby pleco over some dinner:lol: