Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Dwarf Angels? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/dwarf-angels-34951/)

PRichs87 01-08-2010 12:08 AM

Dwarf Angels?

ok so i wanted to get angels for my 29 gallon, but at the advice of EVERYONE (lol) I will not be getting them!

i was wondering if there was any species of dwarf angels tho that I would be able to keep in a 29??? :lol:

iamntbatman 01-08-2010 01:46 AM

Nope. No such thing as a dwarf angelfish. There are only two species of angelfish and both grow to about the same size. The main concern for angelfish is the height of the tank, which should be at least 18" for full grown angels. For smaller tanks (in gallons) some of the column and hex tanks are pretty tall.

rrcoolj 01-08-2010 03:56 PM

I actually have to disagree with everyone on this subject. I had an angelfish in a 20 gallon and she did just fine. Actually the minimum for a pair is generall 20H. I actually ended up with a pair in that tank on accident and they bred in the tank. When I moved them to a roomier 29 I lost the male but kept the female for another year and now im starting over with CA cichlids. In other words I think one or 2 angles will be fine in that tank with smaller tankmates. Angels don't swim all that much anyway they aren't built for it. A general rule is 20 gallons minimum with ten gallons for each additional angel.

Now I had my angel for 3years and she never grow more than 4in across and 6in tall. She was a mature adult at full adult size. BUT, the common angels you see which includes mine can grow to 6in across and 8in tall but IDK how long that would take. Some angles like the wild strain autumn angles which are the black and grey varient can grow 6in across but can also get 10tall. If you had that variety 20 or even 29 will be too small but other wise I think you will be fine. Angels don't need space as much as they need good clean water but always put your fish in the biggest tank possible.

One last thing. I hear people say all the time they like to be in groups of 6 or more. That's not true. It is true that the wild strain do like to school more but once a pair forms that's it. I've never seen captive aquarium strain angles school especially as adults. I know there will be people who disagree with me but that's my opinion.

mikea079 01-09-2010 03:06 PM

i wouldn't keep a pair of angels in anything less than a 29g. you gotta consider the fact that they are "cichlids" and WILL most likely show aggression over territory. and for a single angel i wouldn't keep in less than 15g. i read alot of bad news for people that keep their angels in tanks that don't support the proper amount of swimming space that they need. and the biggest one that i read about the most is something called fin twist. and once an angel gets that it's not often that their will ever be the same again.

what i strongly suggest is that anybody that is going to keep fish is that they should do alot of homework on the one they want before buying.