Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   MoneyMitch 55Gal African Cichlid UPDATE~ (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/moneymitch-55gal-african-cichlid-update-34926/)

MoneyMitch 01-07-2010 09:17 PM

MoneyMitch 55Gal African Cichlid UPDATE~

8 Attachment(s)
So its been a long long while since i put up any new photos of my tank. lots has changed in the past months and havent been able to put up any pix yet so for those of you that are bored or just wanna see my tank here ya go specs are gunna be at bottom if anyone is curious~

Attachment 7353

Attachment 7354

Attachment 7355

Attachment 7356

Attachment 7357

Attachment 7358

Attachment 7359

Attachment 7360

Ph: a Very steady and consistant 8.2

GH and KH too high to read ff the test kit which makes for a Stable PH

Ammonia and nitraIte are of course 0

Nitrate hovers around 25-30

The amazon sword has been in there since startup and has since then lost every leaf i bought it with and grew new to accommodate its new underwater environment. The Anachris S.P? has only been in there for maybe two weeks or so and is taking off!! i cant wait till it fills in hopefully in a monht or two. the little dwarf onion plants have also only been in there maybe a week or two and are doing great, they were more of a impulse buy at .50 cents a piece who wouldnt right? As far as my lighting goes its 80Watts of walmart tubes, for ferts the only thing i use are root tabs and i do 15% w/c every other week or so.

Stock list is mostly males but i have a "few" females

x1 Red Zebra
x1 Rusty Cichlid
x1 Red top cobalt
x1 Sailfin Pleco
x3 Acei
x2 Yellow Lab
x2 Electric Blue johannis

and more soon to come~

So tell me your thoughts and comments im open to it all!!! hope you guys enjoy!

stephanieleah 01-07-2010 09:32 PM

Hey Mitch

Your tank looks beautiful...I love the rock. I'm getting sick of all my dw and want some rocks.

I really like the pictures where the fish are turning, especially the one where the yellow one is turning and facing the camera! I'm not really a cichlid person but now I am thinking of maybe starting a cichlid tank. I know who to ask for expertise : )

Angel079 01-07-2010 09:36 PM

Dang its niceeeee, love the rock work!!! And love the fish selection of cause :-) Spc the Anacharis are gonna fill these areas in quick and nice, thumbs up all the way around:-)

Do you have a full frontal of the tank set up?

Hawkian 01-07-2010 09:48 PM

Wow! Love it! A cichlid tank is what I wanted but I knew so little that I scared myself away from it. Now I get to see this and I'm envious! Beautiful tank man!

P.S. It's always nice to see the reflection of the computer monitor on the tank glass... makes me realize that I am not the only geek out there! AND it is displaying this very forum to boot!!!!!! :-D

iamntbatman 01-07-2010 10:34 PM

Nice looking tank, and nice looking fish!

Have you noticed the fish nibbling on the flora at all?

MoneyMitch 01-07-2010 10:44 PM

cant really get any good frontal but when i get the motivation to put pics up again i will, i know about my fish likeing to eat plants spcially anachris but i figured i would try it myself just to be sure and so far so good. nobody eats off of any of the plants and the sword has always been untouched, the pleco will even go onto EVERY plant in there and eat off what algae he can.

MoneyMitch 01-08-2010 01:45 AM

forgot to add since the tank has been set up ive only lost 2 fish one to bloat and one to a ich outbreak other than that no deaths or problems so far and its been setup since early aug