Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What just happened (dead pleco) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-just-happened-dead-pleco-34923/)

Angel079 01-07-2010 08:31 PM

What just happened (dead pleco)

:shock: So my neighbor who's totally entertained by my common pleco was sitting here watching him for ever earlier gazing around the DW, he was all fine, nothing in behavior or looks wrong at all...I was just fixing to leave the office and he's drifting up top.....Odd....

So I thought maybe he's going after the lil portion scum built up up top.....naw...dude ain't moving when I touch him with the net, nothing, dead, completely fully dead:shock:

How on earth can a fish go from fully happy & healthy looking one min to BAM dead floater next second????????

I even tested the water right away for any NO's, Ammonia - Nadda....

And guess what - Its happened on the 55g AGAIN.....What the.....either there's something undetectable that's wrong with this tank or its cursed....first all my Cardinals on ick attack and now him????:cry:

Do fish have heart attacks?

MoneyMitch 01-07-2010 08:41 PM

common plecos are massively bred and inbreeding occurs often with them which maakes for genetic issues i suspect this is the case here

Angel079 01-07-2010 09:08 PM

I just really feel by now this 55g is cursed...i seen more dead fish in it in few weeks then all tanks ever total over the years, something ain't right there and i can't figure it out

molliefan09 01-07-2010 09:16 PM

you must consider the source of which you got the fish. we all know you take great care of your fish and aquariums so it must be something from the source

bearwithfish 01-07-2010 09:26 PM

dont know kid i mean heck you do it all right so you know its not you.....either source or some sort of accident that you are not around for or seeing...

stephanieleah 01-07-2010 09:28 PM

I'm sorry you lost your fish, girl. That really sucks.

kevincao 01-07-2010 09:36 PM

are you still treating your tank with copper? anyway, i would suggest you check all the treatments you've made lately, if there is anything that contains salt, (aquarium salt...) it might be the problem, plecos can't take aquarium salt, or any type of salt, although i do know small amount shouldn't matter, but it is best to not have salt in pleco's aquarium at all.

Angel079 01-07-2010 09:39 PM

Actually the Cardinals where from 1 LFS and the pleco from Petsmart
All the 45g are stocked from the other LFS (who's also doing the custom order for me now).

Yea I can blame Petsmart, they prop deserve it anyway....but I just GOT TO be sure this tank doesn't having anything un-testable/ invisible in it that caused all this ick and hardcore algae and death. I mean what the heck, so many tanks and all goes fine and this ONE tank just makes me question all I am doing ALL THE TIME, like it just doesn't stop with bad news coming from THAT tank :-(

Angel079 01-07-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevincao (Post 301658)
are you still treating your tank with copper? anyway, i would suggest you check all the treatments you've made lately, if there is anything that contains salt, (aquarium salt...) it might be the problem, plecos can't take aquarium salt, or any type of salt, although i do know small amount shouldn't matter, but it is best to not have salt in pleco's aquarium at all.

:-? I think you've got me confused with someone else, I hadn't done no copper treatment nor any salt treatments in any my tanks, that would be fatal to the inmates;-)

kevincao 01-07-2010 09:49 PM

oh, i must have, hmm sorry about that. wish i could help with your problem