Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Getting food past the Danios (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/getting-food-past-danios-349185/)

Diver Down 02-11-2014 11:34 AM

Getting food past the Danios

I recently added some Red Phantom Tetras to a tank with Zebra Danios. As expected, the Danios keep close to the surface while the Tetras have colonized the middle and lower ranges of the water column. I'm feeding them flakes at the moment, and have discovered how voracious the Danios can be. Not many of the crumbled flakes sink before the Danios can snatch them, nor have I seen the Tetras come to the surface to feed. I am fearful of overfeeding... for obvious reasons... so I'm looking for suggestions for (a) getting food down to the Tetras or (b) enticing the Tetras to the surface.

Thanks.

Flear 02-11-2014 11:39 AM

tetra floating pellets, ... i use those (strictly because i like the pellet idea more than flakes, you'll have to find someone else to consider what's healthier for fish)

the floating pellets (these really small ones for tetras) tend to sink as soon as they break surface tension. which is rather quick

if your curious and want to speed things up, add them to the surface, and get them wet (hit them into the water with your finger)

Diver Down 02-11-2014 11:54 AM

Like this?

tetramin-tropical-fish-food-granules

jaysee 02-11-2014 11:59 AM

Put the food in the outflow of the filter to distribute it throughout the tank, in addition to some on the surface for the danios.

Flear 02-11-2014 12:02 PM

as for pellets/granuals, ... ya, i use a different brand, but the same stuff essentially

Jaysee's idea works too.

and a bit of trial and error to help you out will work as well :)

jaysee 02-11-2014 12:12 PM

Some degree of overfeeding is necessary IMO and E when keeping community tanks to ensure that all the fish are getting their fill. I keep trumpet snails in my tanks for many reasons, among them acting as a feeding barometer. The snail population is indicative of your feeding practices. If you can't maintain a population then there's no food for them and you are possibly underfeeding. Too many and there is an over abundance of food. With the right amount of food for them, they will maintain a manageable population and not overrun the tank.

Diver Down 02-11-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 3901513)
I keep trumpet snails in my tanks for many reasons, among them acting as a feeding barometer. The snail population is indicative of your feeding practices.

Very intriguing idea. I have been thinking about adding a snail as an algae eater, but the tank is new and there's not much if any algae present yet. Are the trumpets consuming algae as well as uneaten fish food?

jaysee 02-11-2014 12:26 PM

No if you want an algae eating snail I would go with a nerite.

Agent13 02-11-2014 12:26 PM

When i had a community with zebra danios i just took my NLS pellets and tossed half of what I had grabbed on top of the water then dipped the rest into the water in my fingers then let go. Also i'll say that the danios will go to where the food is if its not on top.

I'm not a fan of overfeeding small tanks. Not sure the tank size here but I'm assuming it's not 55g+... So yea I wouldn't over feed.

jaysee 02-11-2014 12:30 PM

Getting food past the Danios

"Over feeding" is relative :-). Voracious eaters like danios are going to eat more than they need to - that's just the way they are.