Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Oscar emergency???? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/oscar-emergency-34916/)

molliefan09 01-07-2010 06:20 PM

Oscar emergency????

he is in the tank by him self. right now he is laying completely on is side with his fins clamped. he is still alive but i dont know for how long!!!!!!!!

edit: well, now, 5 minutes since ive posted this he is swimming again and acting normal....is this normal oscar behavior???

MoneyMitch 01-07-2010 08:46 PM

he isa stressed what are tank specs

molliefan09 01-07-2010 09:11 PM

ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 0ppm
ph 7.6
temp 78 deg f

I just got him today, i rescued him from petco. I have another thread regarding his rescue....he swims freely but when my boyfriend approches the tank he hides and seems to "play dead" when he walks away the fish gets up and starts swimming again. From what i have read this is normal for a stressed oscar but i cant help but to worry because of all his physical ailment

iamntbatman 01-08-2010 02:47 AM

How long has this tank been set up? Do you have any other fish in it? Zero nitrates sounds to me like a tank that isn't yet cycled.

molliefan09 01-08-2010 09:23 AM

i meant 10ppm nitrAte sorry. i let the tank run a natural cycle and it completed the cylce about 3 weeks ago, it cycled for 8 weeks. There were 3 albino mnuba cichlids but i removed them prior to releasing him into the tank. there are 2 small plecos in there with him now but other then that he is flying solo. The plecos are common plecos and i am taking them to my LFS today, they came with another tank i purchased last pm

MoneyMitch 01-08-2010 01:37 PM

sounds like hes just stressed from the move and petco (havent read your other thread) just give him time and keep the lights out for a few days, no light can help reduce stress on fish your params seem fine so it must be the move/petco.

molliefan09 01-08-2010 01:45 PM

he is happy today swimming around, begging for food. he even made a shamu leap for the food when i was dropping it in

MoneyMitch 01-10-2010 01:54 PM

gl;ad to hear he perked up

Rocket 01-13-2010 03:50 PM

Hi,
New here and just caught your thread....hope your O's well, I'm sure he is. I have 2 Oscars both about 7 inches, had them from tiny babies...they are HUGE dramaqueens. They sulk, usually in the form of playing dead :roll:!! When I water change they WONT move for me...like, if I lie still enough, you wont see me!! They soon perk up and get back to jumping for food..!

Oscar's are cool fish!!:-D.

Just read your other thread...hope you dont mind me butting in but my Black Tiger was beaten up bad to when he was little....overnight by a jewel cichlid...he was in a real bad way....got rid of the jewel...gave them the tank to thier selves and kept his water really clean....fed frozen krill ect to get him to eat more and in no time he started to improve....they are tough creatures, even when they are little!!

molliefan09 01-13-2010 10:11 PM

the o is doing well....he actually just got moved into his new upgraded home so he and the others are a little stressed right now but other then that he is going AWESOME!!