Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Need ID on a plant pls? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/need-id-plant-pls-34895/)

Hawkian 01-07-2010 10:24 AM

Need ID on a plant pls?

1 Attachment(s)
I changed the layout of my 32g yesterday by removing all store-bought decor and adding some plants and rocks (tank can be seen in my aquariums). I still want to get floating plants in there but the local stores do not carry them and I cannot have anything shipped to Canada this time of year (unless I want frozen plants) so they'll have to wait for the summer.

I added a bunch of stem plants that I believe to be Bacopa Monneri, commonly known as "Baby Tears". The plant is single stem, about 8-10 inches high, and the leaves are either green or reddish-brown. I would not hesitate to call them baby tears if they didn't have that reddish-brown hue to them so maybe some of you have a better clue than I? My LFS does not label the plants and I have learned to not trust what the salespeople tell me there as most are students who don't know too much...

Angel079 01-07-2010 11:11 AM

You know before I opened your thread I already thought...its gonna be a Hygrop...lol

To me, this looks like Bacoba Caroliniana http://www.fishchannel.com/images/pl...aroliniana.jpg

Baby Tears (Hemianthus micranthemoides) have more rounded and deeper green leaf's Baby Tears (Hemianthus micranthemoides)

Hawkian 01-07-2010 04:23 PM

I know what you mean! I was half afraid of it myself! But luckily this is not hygr... LOL!

That's weird. Your pictures make perfect sense to me and I have seen Hemianthus micranthemoides called Baby Tears elsewhere on the net... but the Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock lists Bacopa monnieri as having "Baby Tears" as a common name!

Regardless I believe you may be correct about the caroliniana part. Thanks!

Angel079 01-07-2010 06:15 PM

What you show me there ain't Bacopa monnieri then they'd be solid lighter green, no dark greens, no reds in it.

I take your word for it, just never seen Bacopa as Baby tears and the only baby tears (normal and dwarf) I know are Hemianthus...I donno lol...maybe for the non fish botanic world in the yard I donno

Hawkian 01-07-2010 07:06 PM

I hear you and it makes more sense that it would be the carolianiana kind... we'll just say that Kiscock made a mistake... hehe...

I also added a smaller foreground plant that I believe to be Sagittaria platyphylla. I split it into 8-9 "bunches" and I hear that this thing will spread across the tank floor given time. Can't wait to see green all over! :-)

Angel079 01-07-2010 08:03 PM

You're pretty brave guy posting such a statement in this forum here:rofl:

Does it have leafs almost like vallis, but nice rich green, that's thicker structure then most tank plants and almost look fake?
I tell ya what....I have bought ONE Narrow leaf chain sowrd when I first set up the 55g, which hadn't done too much over time, normal growth rate i'd say....til the day I popped in a the root tablets - GET OUT! I count 24 new runners in less then 2 weeks now that's sick. At this rate y tank will be taken over before Easter :shock:

Hawkian 01-09-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 301604)
Does it have leafs almost like vallis, but nice rich green, that's thicker structure then most tank plants and almost look fake?
I tell ya what....I have bought ONE Narrow leaf chain sowrd when I first set up the 55g, which hadn't done too much over time, normal growth rate i'd say....til the day I popped in a the root tablets - GET OUT! I count 24 new runners in less then 2 weeks now that's sick. At this rate y tank will be taken over before Easter :shock:

I'm not familiar with vallis but the leaves of my bacopa are either dark green or reddish brown and are thicker than most plants leaves.

What root tablets did you use? I will be looking for some of them today so I'd like to get an idea of what to look for...

Angel079 01-09-2010 09:15 AM

The only 1's I found here was from Jungle 'Plant food tabs 0-0-6'. Works for me...thou what I initially did want was Root Tabs from API

That's really only help you on root feeding plants thou, like Swords (like the narrow leaf chain sword I was talking bout further up) or Crypts. Won't affect Stem plants good nor bad.

Byron 01-09-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkian (Post 302574)
I'm not familiar with vallis but the leaves of my bacopa are either dark green or reddish brown and are thicker than most plants leaves.

What root tablets did you use? I will be looking for some of them today so I'd like to get an idea of what to look for...

I've had incredible results with Nutrafin's Plant-Gro sticks. I only use them next to larger swords or groups of swords (not the pygmy chain, they manage without). Plants doubled and tripled in size after 3-4 months of a root stick. Some use Flourish tabs, I went with Sticks because they last a year (so they say) and are less expensive. B.