Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Doing the Switch (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/doing-switch-348858/)

crzy2u 02-10-2014 05:55 PM

Doing the Switch

I've wanted a planted tank from the beginning but decided to wait until I had gotten back into the swing of things will my easy fish and very easy to care for plastic plants. Well; I want to do it. The question is how?
I have gravel at the moment and I was hoping to switch to sand with plant growing substrate underneath. But I'm worried about a mini cycle.
Also, I can't keep dry plants alive to save my life! So how am I going to keep water ones alive? Please suggest to me some plant that are just plain hard to kill.
As far as my lights go, they grow algae just fine so, does that mean it's ok for plants? (Even though the algae grows better on objects that raise to the middle of the tank?)
What about Co2?
Anyway I'm just clueless, and I'd rather not end up killing all my plants like I did on my first attempt.

kaidenvang 02-10-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crzy2u (Post 3897546)
I've wanted a planted tank from the beginning but decided to wait until I had gotten back into the swing of things will my easy fish and very easy to care for plastic plants. Well; I want to do it. The question is how?
I have gravel at the moment and I was hoping to switch to sand with plant growing substrate underneath. But I'm worried about a mini cycle.
Also, I can't keep dry plants alive to save my life! So how am I going to keep water ones alive? Please suggest to me some plant that are just plain hard to kill.
As far as my lights go, they grow algae just fine so, does that mean it's ok for plants? (Even though the algae grows better on objects that raise to the middle of the tank?)
What about Co2?
Anyway I'm just clueless, and I'd rather not end up killing all my plants like I did on my first attempt.

plant keeping is definitely a challenge and needs much more maintenance than fish. Plants and the fish do balance because they can absorb in some nitrates from food and poop to help keep your water quality healthy. Co2 is necessary in most case but some people have found ways around it. Keep in mind that your plants don't need the lights on all day. Though this method will enhance and make your plants grow crazy, your fish will stress very much from this and algae growth will blossom as well. All you need to do is plant the root pass your sand and into the soil. You can add plant foods and many other plant nutrient into your water. These are mostly some liquid compound of many plant nutrients or a tablet. This will help your plant grow. Imagine and project in your mind that plants are like any other living organism. Though it needs co2 and light to grow, they also can benefit from many nutrients (just like humans needing to eat to live but can be healthier from vitamins and other resources) Wal-Mart plants that are sold from the seed are very easy to care for (except the tiger lotus). Other colored plants needs much more iron in your soil under your sand and especially red plants. Mainly plant the plants into your soil whether its seedlings or actual stemmed plants, hook up a co2 system and have a decent light bulb. hope this helps