Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Electronics in aquarium ok? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/electronics-aquarium-ok-34830/)

cds1210 01-06-2010 01:56 PM

Electronics in aquarium ok?

So I recently set up a freshwater aquarium for my little brother, just a simple 29 gallon freshwater tank. I'm pretty experienced with fish tanks but I'm not sure about this one... He has this lighthouse music box/light thing, pretty much a small electronic that he wants to put in his fish tank. I was thinking about the metal and stuff inside, like it might corrode and mess up the water but I'm not sure really. Just wanting some other opinions on it. Thanks, Chris

Angel079 01-06-2010 04:10 PM

HI & Welcome to the forum.

Yes indeed plenty of stuff i there to contaminate your water (just like in the real world lol). Can you somehow screw it/ cut it apart for the lil bro, assuming the lighthouse itself is all plastic you may be able to just use that. But even then chances are its some made in china chem treated stuff that'll leak back into the tank (not cool for the fish, just like in the real world). Maybe just take your lil bro out to a Petco/ Petsmart or Wal-Mart for fish-friendly plastic decor?

PRichs87 01-06-2010 08:01 PM

the last thing you are going to want is a sad little bro with dead fish, id say dont take the chance

WisFish 01-06-2010 08:10 PM

The fact that you called it "Electronics", if it's not made for aquarium use, then I wouldn't put it in the tank. My guess is the electronics will not work under water. My son tried this with his cell phone in the swimming pool. Not good.

Freddy 01-06-2010 10:08 PM

I thought metal only corroded in saltwater aquariums, but now that I think about it, my tank has all plastic parts, except the heater, which is metal encased in glass, and maybe the propeller in the filter, but I think that's plastic too. But I know it's powered by an electromagnet. I wouldn't use anything not made for an aquarium.

stephanieleah 01-07-2010 12:21 AM

I have to agree with everyone...if it's not made for an aquarium, then it's most likely made for the dry outside world.

I don't have a visual of what you're talking about but if it's something of sentimental value, could you take a picture of the thing and print it life sized and then put in on the back of the tank so it shows through (like as part of the aquarium background?). Or if it's small, encase it in a sealed glass container and set it in the aquarium? (it will get weird because there would have to be water in it and you'd have to clean out the case as well).

These are weird ideas, but just throwing them out there.