Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Frozen or freeze dried bloodworms? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/frozen-freeze-dried-bloodworms-34821/)

Grimmjow 01-06-2010 11:51 AM

Frozen or freeze dried bloodworms?

Is one better than the other?

adiumroot 01-06-2010 12:01 PM

Depends on what you're going to feed it to. I've heard the freeze-dried variety takes on air and isn't recommended for fancy goldfish. But for other fish, I think it's probably the same thing.

Here where I am, frozen is cheaper than freeze-dried so I go for frozen. The disadvantage is that you have to keep it in your freezer.

aunt kymmie 01-06-2010 12:06 PM

Actually, the freeze dried takes on water so you need to thoroughly rehydrate before feeding, or you risk overfeeding and bloat as far as your fish are concerned. My fish will eat both but prefer the frozen. When I do feed freeze dried foods I soak it in a cup of tank water until I know that the food has completely absorbed all the water it can take on.

Grimmjow 01-06-2010 12:22 PM

Ill prolly go with the frozen, I did some reading and saw that the dust on the freeze dried shouldnt be inhaled and Im definitely not going to touch them either way.

The kids of fish I have are
Bettas
Guppies
Neon, black skirt, and some black kinda of tetras
Some blueish silver gauramis
Tiger barbs
Clown loaches
Zebra danios
And 2 that look like neon tetras but have a greenish yellow stripe above a black stripe and they are like 3 inches

If any of those wouldnt like bloodworms.

kelly528 01-06-2010 12:26 PM

Never used freeze-dried, never would. All I feed are pellets, frozen and fresh/live. Freeze-dried has a lower nutritional value than any of the (high quality, to be fair) feeds I use so I don't bother with it.

All the above fish should like bloodworms, you can also try brine shrimp, daphnia, mysis shrimp, tubifex worms or krill if you are feeling adventurous.

adiumroot 01-06-2010 12:36 PM

My tiger barbs go crazy whenever I feed them bloodworms. They flip out and inhale the worms like no tomorrow. LOL

Bettas also love them. It's close to what they really eat in the wild plus bloodworms and mosquito larva are good for conditioning bettas for breeding.

Angel079 01-06-2010 04:12 PM

For the fish you have, they'll love bloodworms. Frozen is what I use too, thaw it out in li cup tank water and you're all set.

Grimmjow 01-06-2010 04:15 PM

I just went and bought some frozen ones, i got a plastic cup to like thaw them out in but how would i go about breaking pieces off, just try to snap a chunk? I bought the hikari brand ones but ithought they came in cubes but i guess its just like a slab.

Angel079 01-06-2010 04:39 PM

Just use a sharp knife and cut chunks off (half inch square should about do it for feeding a normal stocked tank). Just keep your finger away & safe while cutting!

Grimmjow 01-06-2010 08:28 PM

Well i may have let them sit out for a little bit and they thawed a little and some of the juice dripped onto my cats scratching post, should i just throw it out?