Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Mulling ideas for my 10 gallon - Clowns and corals? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/mulling-ideas-my-10-gallon-clowns-348169/)

Flint 02-09-2014 03:20 PM

Mulling ideas for my 10 gallon - Clowns and corals?

So, I have an empty 10 gallon and I have been mulling around ideas of what to do with it. My 2.5 gallon fresh is going to be first and foremost but I think I want to turn my 10 gallon into a salt tank. I was at my LFS and wandering around when I came across fancy snowflake clownfish. I'd love to have a pair (I did some research and read this is possible!) in the tank. Can they be kept with corals? I have a 20 gallon tall I could use as a sump on this tank. I don't know the first thing about saltwater but I know nanos are hard and I am willing to invest the time and care needed for this tank. I will also be using dry rock and sand as opposed to live to avoid unwanted friends if I decide to go this route. Any and all advice is appreciated.

badxgillen 02-09-2014 04:46 PM

Clownfish are generally safe with your corals\inverts, I personally have never had a problem with any of them except the maroon and tomato clowns.

Flint 02-09-2014 05:18 PM

I read maroon and tomato clowns get too big for a 10. I think fancy snowflake are ocellaris if I'm not mistaken?

Flint 02-09-2014 06:41 PM

I just watched a video of a 10 gallon reef that was supposedly up and running for nine months. It was home to an ocellaris clown, two fire fish and a mandarin goby. It had a 1 gallon HOB sump? and something else I don't remember. How is that stock possible without a larger sump? I thought a fire fish or two clowns was pushing stock on a 10 gallon reef.

badxgillen 02-09-2014 11:23 PM

With diligent water changes,a well established system & live rock, and chemical media it is possible.I keep a number of fish in my little 10 gallon with the assistance of some macro algae and carbon...ontop of water changes.

Flint 02-10-2014 07:11 AM

I really loved the activity in the tank and would much prefer that stock. It was gorgeous. is the video. I think I misidentified the fire fish....

badxgillen 02-10-2014 12:00 PM

Well now that I have seen the video that is an exceptional 10 gallon. Very clean with a nice variety of corals. Yes that is a purple fire fish in the tank.
Later in the video he reveals part of his success and that is a over rated skimmer and a custom refugium that is packed with macro,there is probably either many water changes involved or dosing of some sort, you can tell it is not a novices tank.Certainly obtainable with patience,time and money.

The skimmer and LED are pricey,you can make the refugium out of an aqua clear pretty easily.

Flint 02-10-2014 01:54 PM

I have an extra 20 gallon (tall) I can use, would that help? I'm willing to go about this slowly and spend the money to have a tank like this.

badxgillen 02-10-2014 06:06 PM

A 20 would be easier to manage.as long as you have patience, a good salt tank takes time. Start off with some good live rock and a little live sand to jump start your system and then give it a couple weeks before testing and adding any clean up crew.The cycle in salt can take any where form a couple weeks to a month.

Flint 02-11-2014 07:16 AM

I can't use the 20 as the actual tank, only filtration if that's possible. Where the tank is just won't hold the 20.