Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Proper QT time for new fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/proper-qt-time-new-fish-34794/)

La Reina 01-05-2010 05:31 PM

Proper QT time for new fish?

Hello!

What is the reccomended QT time for new fish?

Angel079 01-05-2010 06:20 PM

If you wanna QT them to be sure they have no ich - 2 weeks will do ya.
If you wanna QT them to be sure they have no sickness at all its suggested anywhere from 2-4 months.

Angel079 01-05-2010 06:21 PM

:lol: LOVE your updated signature there :lol:

La Reina 01-05-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 300343)
:lol: LOVE your updated signature there :lol:

Thanks!

As soon as that guy is healed up I'd like to get three more males. Sunset wag! :-D My tank feels so empty without the third platy. But he's doing well, and is liking the brine shrimp hospital food.

Angel079 01-05-2010 07:34 PM

Translating that from fish world to human world...that's quite some first class hospital he's in huh? :-)

For the QT: When I researched it all because of my 1st ever ich attach here in Nov when I was so hopeless...to me it really boiled down to this: Yes there's sicknesses that can develop over 8-12 weeks...Am I educated enough to have xray vision to detect some of those ON TIME before its too late for the fish - To honestly face it, no I am not, cause I came to realize there's about as many sicknesses in the fish world then in ours.

So I concentrated on the sicknesses I could ID myself and based of that and their development time (often triggered by water change- move from store to home-) I pers came to the conclusion ~3weeks is what I'm gonna do here.

Now I'm not saying this will work for you, maybe your more of a fish xray vision Doc then I am...Just something to consider.

La Reina 01-05-2010 08:47 PM

What medicine should I have in my fish medicine cabinet? I know ich is very common, as is fin rot. What meds would you reccomend to have on hand for the new fish?

jeaninel 01-06-2010 01:19 AM

I QT for minimum of 3 weeks. If a problem occurs, I treat the fish and then that 3 week period restarts again just to make sure they don't relapse or that nothing else shows up.

I currently have Quick Cure and Melafix in my cabinet. But I just happen to have these on hand because I needed them at one point. I generally just buy meds when needed as most of them have a shelf life.

MoneyMitch 01-07-2010 07:49 PM

2weeks up to 3 months depends how cautious u want to be

Mikaila31 01-07-2010 09:08 PM

I do two weeks and deworm and treat all fish for ich.

jeaninel 01-08-2010 01:44 AM

Mikaila31, what do you use to deworm?