Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Lighting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/lighting-34781/)

alrcs8191 01-05-2010 02:56 PM

Lighting

I'm wondering about lighting for my 125g planted. I was considering 2-4 flourescent daylight bulbs. however I've heard of people using cfl's that would be equal to 100w each. also what would you recomend for amount of time the lights are on.

Angel079 01-05-2010 06:07 PM

How wide (or deep for that matter) if you 125g?

I'm usuing the cfl's on my smaller tanks, works awesome there, but I have no exp on that on large tanks. My bigger tanks all have end-end florescent strips on them. I'm wondering really if 2x4ft'ers will be enough for ya but I donno your tank dimensions....

But full spectrum daylights that average you out around ~1 watt per gallon is a good set up right there for plants.

Timing I'd use a timer and set it to 10-11 hrs.

alrcs8191 01-05-2010 06:17 PM

It's 72"L 18"D 18"H

Angel079 01-05-2010 07:04 PM

I donno I'd pers put either 3 or 4 long ones on that.

Byron 01-05-2010 07:07 PM

I assume you are planning this tank, so what type of plants (species) are you thinking of getting? Not all plants need the same intensity of light, and having more light than the plants need/can use will lead to algae problems.

Byron.

alrcs8191 01-05-2010 07:59 PM

well I don't have much of a variety around here. I def. plan to have some sword plants and hornwort since I have really good luck with that. I found aother dealer not long ago and they have a better selection. I'm not sure if any of that helps.

Byron 01-05-2010 08:16 PM

Yes. If you look at the photos of my aquaria you will see two SA tanks, the 115g Amazon river and 90g flooded Amazon forest, both are full primarily of swords.

You can have either regular T8/T12 fluorescent or T5 HO fluorescent; the latter is more intense for the same length of tube, so less wattage is required. For regular T8 I would go with approx 1 watt of full spectrum/cool white tubes per gallon. For T5 HO you can reduce this as the wattage is not equivalent in intensity. The tubes are not interchangeable in the fixtures, so T8 fixture only takes T8 (or T12), T5 only T5. I have the T8, two 48-inch tubes (1 full spectrum, 1 cool white) over each tank.

For a 6-foot tank I expect the fixtures would take either 48-inch staggered, or perhaps smaller tubes end to end. All tubes are a specific wattage, and although this is just a guide, it does work with T8/T12 tubes. Have a look at the fixtures available (your local fish store or online) and one of us will be able to offer advice once you know what's available.

Byron.

alrcs8191 01-05-2010 08:31 PM

I had seen some at menards that are 48" t12 40w full spectrum daylight 5000k and i believe it was 2200 lumens. I'll be going to petsmart tomorrow to see what they have.

Angel079 01-05-2010 08:31 PM

I don't see your location on the profile...but if you're worried about variety of plants....that's the problem I have here in TN too, I have NO SELECTION ...therefore:

Sweet Aquatics
AquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants & aquarium products community.
And I know at least sweetaquatics offers free shipping after a certain amount. Thats where I get all mine.

I'd pers also suggest to check your local homestores look for full spectrum lights there and/ or daylights.

alrcs8191 01-05-2010 09:20 PM

Great I'll def check that out. We have a few of the chain stores like petsmart,pet supplies plus and petco. Each one is so diff. but I've had great luck with psp+ in two diff. towns. some of the others have people that don't have much experience and some are terrible with ick and finrot.