Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10 gallons tank suggestions on stocking? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10-gallons-tank-suggestions-stocking-347761/)

carlos puron 02-08-2014 09:55 PM

10 gallons tank suggestions on stocking?

Hi guys well somebody offered me a 10 gallons tank I tried but I couldn't said no I'm still not sure on what to put in it will be a planted tank for sure I I was thinking in red cherry shrimp but May consider some other ideas while I get it to cycle thanks for your input :)

NeonFlux 02-09-2014 12:17 AM

Small species of tetras, gouramis, rainbowfish, guppies, platies, mollies, ottocinclus, pygmy corydoras, rasboras.. these kinds of fish are pretty good. :)

jimscott 02-09-2014 07:40 AM

To supplement the above post, it depends upon what you are looking for. Do you like bright colors? Neons, rainbows, guppies, mollies, and gouramis fit that bill. Do you want to see a group of fish 'schooling'? Neons do that. Do you want to see lots of motion, again, Neons do that. Corydoras and Otocybclus cats deal with the food that the fish in the upper part miss. Otocynclus graze on algae, as well. Dow you want to see baby fish? Mollies and guppies will do that.

jaysee 02-09-2014 08:23 AM

Rainbows are absolutely not appropriate for a 10 gallon, and neither are mollies. Even the small blue eye species of rainbows like celebes, gertrudes and etc are far too active for such a small tank.

Only gouramis that are are sparkling, croaking, honey and MAYBE dwarf gourami. Many feel a 10 is too small for a DG.

Platies are also a bit too big for a 10 gallon, especially if/when they start breeding.

Neons are not active fish, especially not in such a small tank. Thats actually a good thing, since active fish do not belong in such a small tank.

Carlos, the red cherry shrimp are good for the tank. You can get some SMALL fish to live with them if you like, such as endlers. However, if you are not comfortable getting rid of fish, I suggest you stay clear of the livebearers. A group of sparkling gouramis would be nice. There aren't a whole lot of options for a 10 but there are enough - just keep in mind how small a 10 gallon is and don't try to cram large fish like mollies and rainbows or active fish like danios and blue eye rainbows.

Flint 02-09-2014 08:54 AM

A Betta and some Celestial Pearl Danio would do wonderfully alongside the shrimp, assuming your shrimp have a place to hide from the Betta when need be.

jaysee 02-09-2014 08:58 AM

Yup, you could even divide it and keep 2 bettas and 2 kinds of shrimp. Just make sure the two shrimp species can't interbreed. The product of 2 variations of a shrimp is often a wild color type, which is usually not attractive.

carlos puron 02-09-2014 12:40 PM

Mm I have 3 male bettas another one doesn't sound like a bad idea but im afraid he would try to eat the shrimp I've never divided a tank that's another good option maybe a moss wall on the middle ao they won't look each other I've never seen sparkling gouramies on the local pet store jaysee how many of those can I keep in that tank ??
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 02-09-2014 12:48 PM

My friend had like 5 or 6 in a 10 if I recall correctly. I don't have any first hand experience with them.

carlos puron 02-09-2014 12:49 PM

I may do some research on them they look pretty
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 02-09-2014 12:56 PM

10 gallons tank suggestions on stocking?

Yeah not a species that particularly interests me so I haven't done more than glance at them. I would if I had small tanks though.