Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Guppies/Platies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/guppies-platies-34763/)

Byakaru 01-05-2010 03:18 AM

Guppies/Platies

hey im new here, been kinda looking around and i like this place alot of information. well about 5 months ago i started breeding platies, fell in love with them and now im trying my luck with guppys. i was just wondering if you guys have any tips or tricks or anything that would help me...please be nice...anyways thanks in advance.

current setup guppies 20 gal tall live plants (wisteria, some tall plants i forgot the name of, java fern, anachris)
heater set at 81 along with dechlorinated water with salt added

platies-30 gallon long heater set at 83 with same water conditioning and of course both have filters and the same plants.

i also have a spare 45gal corner hex tank i have to get a filter and some heatersfor....i plan to raise my guppy fry in a ten gallon with a sponge filter and as the get bigger cull out the lesser ones and raise the better ones in the 45 gallon. as far as my platies go i put them in a breeder net until theyre big enough to live in the tank with the rest (i have 6 adults) and i tend to just give them away to friends/coworkers when they get bigger, except for a few ive kept for their oddly bright colors.

1077 01-05-2010 04:44 AM

Sounds like a plan, Livebearer's such as guppies,mollies,platy's and swordtails do best in basic alkaline water with ph from 7.4 to 8.0. Your platys do not appreciate water much warmer than 76 degrees wile guppies and mollies will do well in warmer temps. I might keep the platy's in temp between 74 and 76 degrees. I would not use salt in the aquariums unless I was treating fish for something .
I would provide some floating plants in the tanks for young to hide in and feed from until you can scoop em out with a cup or net. would not move pregnant fish to breeder box or net as this can stress the fish and cause them to abort the fish and could stress the female to the point that they die soon after the aborted birth. Best in my view,to provide some floating plants preferably live ones, but artificial can work also. The young fry will be instinctively drawn to the surface to hide in the floating plants for safety, and also to feed from small organisims or infusoria that also uses plants to hide in.
I would feed the guppies and platy's foods that were largely vegetable based or algae based along with powdered traditional flakefoods.
Am pleased you are using fry tank as opposed to breeder net just be sure the sponge filter has healthy bacteria colony for use in the fry tank. Perhaps keep the sponge filter in operation in your main tank for this reason?;-)

aunt kymmie 01-05-2010 10:31 AM

Welcome to the forum, Byakaru. We're glad you decided to join us.
Follow 1077's advice and you'll have a gazillion guppies in no time. ;-)

willow 01-05-2010 01:37 PM

hello and welcome.
me 3
:-D

Byakaru 01-06-2010 04:08 AM

the reason the temp is higher in my platy tank is cause its in my basement...which is cold so its in the mid-upper 70s and the salt is because my friend put a puffer fish in the tank and it nipped alot of fins and so to be safe i added salt and am treating some more severe cases in another tank....and thanks for the replies ill adjust the tanks soon XD

fryup 05-04-2010 09:51 AM

heres my adice and it works....buy 1 good coloured healthy looking male and 4 females....1 month later you will have 50+ guppies :):):)

Byron 05-04-2010 01:06 PM

Welcome to Troipcal Fish Keeping.:wave:

Byron.