Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   What To Stock A 10GL With? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-stock-10gl-34748/)

Skimmpy101 01-04-2010 06:22 PM

What To Stock A 10GL With?

I have a 10 gallon with a Whisper Filter, multi-colored gravel, three plants and a decorative "Greek Ancient Ruins" in it. I have two male guppies, one is a teal/turquoise/purple color and the other is a pretty creamy orange. Oh, I also have a heater, too. lol Also a flourescent (sp?) light, as well. What should I stock it with? I want something easy to maintain, it must get along with my two guppies, and I'd like for it to be really colorful. Any tips/suggestions would be helpful. According to AQAdvisor.com my tank is 56% stocked. Thanks! Meg

fishesfriend 01-04-2010 06:36 PM

maby a small corie and an oto?

Angel079 01-04-2010 08:17 PM

I'd not add cory to such a small tank, rather house them in 20g and up.

How about ghost shrimp, like 20-30 of them, they'll not only be the kicker to watch but also help keep your tank clean :-)

dylan94 01-04-2010 08:34 PM

A single male dwarf gourami can coexist with guppies. If I were you I would do:
-2 male + 4 female guppies
-1 male dwarf gourami
-5-15 ghost shrimp

The guppies and shrimp are both very lively and active, they would make the tank more active and interesting. Male dwarf gouramis have gorgeous colours, They are very flashy red and blue. Some are more blue and some are more red. The gourami will also help keep the guppy fry situation under control. Shrimp do a great job at keeping the tank clean. I have had this setup before and I loved it!

Hope this helps!

Angel079 01-04-2010 09:37 PM

Even one single pair of Dwar Gourami with no one else in the tank would need a min of 17g.

Your just really extremely limited with 10g if you wanna keep fish happy & healthy at the same time.

Skimmpy101 01-04-2010 10:07 PM

I had a male Gourami and he was my ultimate favorite, of course he wasn't as big. I wanted an Angel, I have always wanted one, but unfortunatley, don't have the tank size or tank mates right now, and am not ready to up in size. I was thinking of this, a few more colorful male Guppies (if it can be done) because I really don't want fry because I don't an over fry population. Correct if I'm wrong, please! A small school of Neon Tetras (I'd get ones of those mesh filter covers they sell), and some ghost shrimp. Is that too much?

Skimmpy101 01-04-2010 10:09 PM

I'd love to do Dylan's method, if I can keep 1 male dwarf Gourami in a 10 gallon. But then I couldn't have the Neon Tetras, right?

Angel079 01-05-2010 08:11 AM

I'd pers not add a single Gourami to a 10g. But def not Gourami, Guppy and Neon's.
Neon's have completely different water need compared to your Guppys (Neon: pH 5-7 KH 5-10). Obviously you can only have one kinda water coming from your tap, which either suits the Guppys (which I'm assuming) OR the Neon's, so I'd only suggest to get them if you can provide the water for them.

Skimmpy101 01-05-2010 05:21 PM

Hope I'm not being annoying with all of these questions! LOL I just want to know as much as I can before I get anything. I used to have one Gourami with a school of Neon's in a 10 gallon a few years ago, but that doesn't mean that they were happy! My friend had bought me a Guppy and two Neon's, and the two Neon's died, however I found them stuck to the filter, so not sure if it was my filter that got them, my water, or both.

What about housing male Guppies together? My two do fine now, but adding more? I just don't want to get females because I don't want a huge fry problem.

Any other fish suggestions? THANK YOU for all of the replies so far. :-)

La Reina 01-05-2010 05:24 PM

Platies! They're colorful, will get along with your guppies, and are a hoot! (Of course, I'm a little biased.)