Found 3 fish dead today... reasoning?
so today I came home to find 3 fish dead, 1 betta, and 2 panda cories. Everything seemed to be fine prior to these deaths and i can usually tell when a fish will die but for these guys i have no idea. It may be because i restarted my cycle a few weeks ago but my levels are definitely on the better side. Any ideas?
1. Size of tank? 10 gal
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? .50ppm
b. Nitrite? 0ppm
c. Nitrate? <5 but only slightly more than 1
d. pH, KH and GH? n/a
e. Test kit? API Liquid Test Kit
3. Temperature? ~79-80*
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? ~6 months but cycle restarted ~three weeks ago
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? ATM, after all the fishy deaths there are 3 julii cory cats, 2 panda cories, and a snail. theyre all pretty small and i've had the juliis for about 2-3 weeks and the pandas for about a week
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? no, did not have big enough quarintine tank
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? one live the rest are fake
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? sand
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? a bridge, three fake plants, and a betta log
9. a. Filtration? yes
b. Heater? yes
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? LED lights, day/night schedule
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? day/night
11. a. Water change schedule? once a week
b. Volume of water changed? 25%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? tap
d. Water conditioner used? recently switched from API to Prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? once a week
How often are they fed? used to be every day now every other day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? n/a
b. Appearance of poop? n/a
c. Appearance of gills? n/a
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?n/a
b. What meds were used? n/a
Thanks for any advice ahead of time
I'm going to guess that the restarting of the cycle caused the problems. Cories are very sensitive, especially smaller ones like the pandas, and really shouldn't be added to a tank that hasn't been cycled for 4 months or so (so you know its mature and stable), let alone one that's still cycling.
May I ask why you restarted the cycle?
For now id suggest testing the water once a day, and when the ammonia is over .25ppm, do a water change :-). Hopefully it helps!
Thanks for the input! I restarted the cycle b/c i switched to sand and got a new filter and my media from the old one was absolutely horrendous. So i kinda just restarted.
I dont see how my betta couldve passed though... Hmmm...
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
You're welcome! I probably would have tried to stuff the media in the new filter, lol.
Bettas are over bred and inbred, and a lot of them are just not the most healthy. There's a good chance itnwas just sick
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2