Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Noah's Ark Syndrome... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/noahs-ark-syndrome-3470/)

Rue 02-20-2007 07:44 PM

Noah's Ark Syndrome...

LOL...I think I got it :oops: ...but not a full-blown case...but I've always thought of my tank as a 'specimen' tank...I also have the same tendency t in my garden and also with my finches (males only...6 different species)...er, and my dogs (4 dogs...4 different breeds)...

I was looking at biotope tanks, but many of the fish I like don't go with heavily planted tanks! So there goes that idea...

I also don't like the blackwater tanks - I prefer clear water...yet they house some of my favourite fish...

Regardless, I'll have to try and tone it down when I get the big tank up and running...

I'm also wondering if I should avoid a shoal of neon tetras (although they're a favourite) in the new tank?

I've been looking at some of the other easy going shoaling species...but none 'jump' out at me - they all seem dull coloured...but there are an awful lot of easy-going shoaling fish, so I was planning on taking a closer look at some of the species that didn't catch my eye on first glance...so many decisions! :lol:

So? Any one else guilty of having Noah's Ark Syndrome? 'fess up!!!

shavon 02-20-2007 08:20 PM

I believe that I'm a victim too. I am always looking for a new type of pet. I had to get rid of my snakes and taratulas because my husband has a phobia. lol. I want hampsters now.

soco1125 02-21-2007 11:25 AM

Haha... I have Noah's Ark Syndrome combined with "Shelter Syndrome". In addition to my own 6 aquariums, 2 horses, 3 cats, 1 dog... I get talked into tending to a constant supply of temporary animals to find homes for: cats, dogs, birds, lizards, rabbits, snakes, and turtles. Of course some of the temps end up staying... a little kitty named Sophie looks like she may become cat #4 :roll:

fish_4_all 02-21-2007 03:44 PM

I think a school of Albino Glo light tetras would look really awesome.

Gla dI haven't caught the Ark syndrome yet. My house is small enough as it is.

Amphitrite 02-21-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
I think a school of Albino Glo light tetras would look really awesome.

Gla dI haven't caught the Ark syndrome yet. My house is small enough as it is.

It's probably only a matter of time until you start ditching your furniture to make space for more tanks :lol:

I agree, a school of Glo Light's would look lovey.

squiggles1 02-21-2007 04:34 PM

lol it's true who needs a couch? it does take up alot of animal could be there instead room! I'm sure that if i wasn't renting our house (which means pets are a controled quantity) then i'ld b living in a zoo! we have 6 tanks, a bearded dragon and 2 cats. our land lady said no more then 2 cats and no dogs so our in tank life is only increasing. animals are just so interesting i can't help it! when i lived at home at one point we had 3 dogs, 12 cats ( 2 litters at once) fish, and my 2 pet goats...which we're actually house trained....hey i was there mommy! i bottle fed them!

Rue 02-21-2007 04:57 PM

...come to think of it...I have 2 cats too...but they're both girls... :lol:

In fishy term, Noah's Ark syndrome reflects the tendency of beginners (mostly, but not always) to get two of this species of fish...two of that species of fish...without a 'plan'...

JackBauer 02-21-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue
...come to think of it...I have 2 cats too...but they're both girls... :lol:

In fishy term, Noah's Ark syndrome reflects the tendency of beginners (mostly, but not always) to get two of this species of fish...two of that species of fish...without a 'plan'...

That might be me. I'm a beginner, and I have NO idea what I am doing.

Lupin 02-21-2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue

Sounds like 'Impulse Buying' method too.:lol: You better not get that one.:blink:

Rue 02-21-2007 06:18 PM

...lol...

I'm trying so hard to resist buying this beautiful fire skink at the pet store that no one else seems to want...

...but I don't want to get back into having to buy crickets every week...NOR do I want to raise them...already have a mealworm colony to look after...not to mention my Madagascar Hissing Roaches (er, as pets...NOT as meals... :lol: )