Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   is my rainbow shark eating (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/my-rainbow-shark-eating-34676/)

rspratley09 01-03-2010 11:51 AM

is my rainbow shark eating

i just got my rainbow shark not to long ago and inever see him eat. he is very goodand not at all agressive. he just hangsout in his cave and evryonce in a while hecomes outand shows off his beautiful color, is he okayor does he eat when i am not looking? please help he is y buddy and i dont want him todie!!

bettababy 01-04-2010 02:30 AM

Try turning the light off right after you feed the fish, then step back a ways from the tank and just watch. Rainbow and red tail sharks tend to be more nocturnal feeders, and shy fish when it comes to us watching what they do. What appears to be a very mild mannered and peaceful fish may show you a whole new side to its personality once the lights go off.

Also, as they mature, rainbow sharks are known to be quite aggressive, especially with their own species and fishes that share their territories in the tank, such as catfish and plecos, etc.

If you fish looks healthy, the belly is not sunk in, color is not faded, activity level has not decreased from the normal, I would have to make an educated guess and say it is likely this fish is getting enough to eat. If you post a photo of him we can all take a look and let you know if we see any visible signs of a problem.

rspratley09 01-04-2010 08:47 AM

he has started letting me see him eat

He has started comig outmore. and his colors are beautiful. thankyou and when iget a chancei will post a picture of him he is a very hard fish to take a picture of. but i appreciate the input.

Tyyrlym 01-05-2010 08:43 AM

I would echo what bettababy said. My RTBS rarely leaves her cave when I put food in the tank. However given that she grew to her full size in six months and is a bit on the plump side I don't worry about it.

rspratley09 01-10-2010 01:23 PM

thank you

thank you for the input. he has broken out of his shyness and now is active and all over the tank... and contrary to everything i read and what everyone says he gets along great with everyone in my tank, especially my black moor, they both chill in the tiny cave together sometimes....

bettababy 01-12-2010 02:40 PM

Black moor and rainbow shark in the same tank? That is asking for problems on a long term basis, thought you should know that. A black moor goldfish is a cold water fish and should have water temp range of 63 - 70 where the rainbow shark is tropical and should have temp ranges of 75 - 80. That is a huge range of difference and enough to make them incompatible.

Another reason for incompatibility issues is the nature of those 2 fish. Long term that would not be a good mix because the black moors don't swim real fast. With the aggressive nature of a mature rainbow shark, that leaves a black moor at a huge disadvantage both at feeding time and from being picked on.

I am looking at your signature... is this the tank you are speaking of? Neither a black moor or a rainbow shark should be in a 15 gallon tank, they both get way too large. A single black moor should have no less than 55 gallons, even if they start out small, because they grow so quickly and are such dirty fish. They have a very high waste output, need for higher oxygen levels (which is found in the cooler water), and they have messy eating habits. A full grown black more can reach over 6 inches in length and get as big around as a baseball. If you grab a baseball and look at your tank you will see its not practical, and these fish grow quickly.

In the case of the rainbow shark, they grow to 6 - 8 inches as adults, are known to be aggressive and territorial as they mature. Minimum tank size for an adult rainbow shark is 55 gallons due to their need for territory. As juveniles (if yours fits into 15 gallons it is surely a juvenile) they are a shoaling fish, which is likely why it is spending time with the black moor. This changes with time, and in a matter of months as that shark grows up, it becomes a solitary fish, known to fight with others of its own species and to wreak havoc on other fish that invade its territory, regardless of the size of the other fish.

I hate to say this but with your current population in this tank, the only fish suited for a 15 gallon from your list is the glo lite tetras. The glass cat will reach about 5 inches, and a 15 gallon tank is going to be an issue with space for that fish later as it grows up. Glass cats should have at least 30 - 40 gallons when they are full grown adult fish.

If you would like further help in sorting it out please let me know and I will do what I can to help guide you in the right direction. First and foremost the goldfish should be removed as soon as possible. If your lfs suggested to you that these fish were all compatible in a 15 gallon tank, that would be a good indication early on that they either don't know what they are doing or they are only out to take your money. Either way, their advice should not be trusted.

frmrgrl87 01-24-2010 06:35 PM

My rainbow shark acted similarly when i first got him. Mine hid quite a bit in the plants, but after a while he came out of his "shy stage" and now he even eats flakes at feeding times. He often grazes algae from the sides of the tank or grazes on the plants. He is very acrobatic and even swims upside down!!! (he's been doing this for a while now, and only when he grazes on the plants, i do believe he is very healthy)