Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Memorials (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-memorials/)
-   -   Lost My Firemouth (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-memorials/lost-my-firemouth-34655/)

jeaninel 01-02-2010 11:06 PM

Lost My Firemouth

1 Attachment(s)
:-( Drat! I lost my firemouth this morning. I suspect IP. She had white, stringy poo, had stopped eating, was hiding and towards the end had respiratory problems. I'd treated the tank with Parasite Clear but it wasn't enough. R.I.P Mrs Doubtfire.

Romad 01-03-2010 09:00 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that. She was beautiful.

RIP Mrs. Doubtfire :-(

willow 01-03-2010 01:52 PM

sorry for the loss,she was very pretty.

dramaqueen 01-03-2010 04:47 PM

I'm so sorry about your fish! She was pretty.

aunt kymmie 01-03-2010 04:49 PM

What a bummer, she was a nice fish. Everyone else in the tank seem healthy?

jeaninel 01-03-2010 09:50 PM

I'm a little worried about my JD. He also had white, stringy poo. But he is still eating like a pig and acting normal. The sal and tiger barbs seem fine. I just did a water change and will be doing a 3rd and final dose of the Parasite Clear tonight.

stephanieleah 01-03-2010 11:17 PM

What a pretty fish...it's so hard to lose pets.

HollyinWA 01-18-2010 11:06 PM

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your Firemouth. She was beautiful. You know, one of my platties has that white stringy poo that i have noticed for the last few days. He kind of keeps to himself in the corner at the top. He does come out now and then to play but then goes back up there. I know something is not right. Poor fish. They have to deal with the shipment to the LFS, then they have to come to a new home (here) in a tank that needs to be cycled. The tanks spikes with ammonia, but fortunately, I got them out of there after a few days (with Ammo Lock helping them until it spiked bad) and then put into a nice big tank, but none the least....STRESS. No wonder fish can get sick with things. I am sure his resistence was lowered.

You mentioned that you think your fish had IP. Since my tank is new and still cycling (good readings though), I really do not want to put meds in there. The 14 gallon tank is not yet ready for fish to be put in there. Not sure what else I can do but wait.

Thanks and sorry again for your fish.

~HOlly

jeaninel 01-19-2010 12:50 AM

Thanks Holly,
I ended up losing the JD and the sal also. So I am having to start over. It's so upsetting but there's only so much you can do.

You could try medicated food if you can find it. I know that the Jungle Parasite Clear that I used did not affect the bio filter. Hope your platy gets better.

HollyinWA 01-19-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 308625)
Thanks Holly,
I ended up losing the JD and the sal also. So I am having to start over. It's so upsetting but there's only so much you can do.

You could try medicated food if you can find it. I know that the Jungle Parasite Clear that I used did not affect the bio filter. Hope your platy gets better.

Sorry to hear that. Did you lose them to the same thing.....did they have the same symptoms and in the same tank?

I hope whatever this Platy has it will not transfer to my other fish. I have not even gotten my main fish yet, and I would hate to think there would be something that will be very contagious to other fish.

I remember in the past using a medicated food before. The thing is, if the fish does not feel well enough to eat, it won't help at all. I am not sure if this one is eating. It looks like he may be when I put food right above him. He is in the top right corner now not looking real well. I wonder how much fish feel when they are ill. Gee, I hate this part about having fish.

I have a Clydesdale that is itchy, and I am trying to figure out why and now I am worried about a Platy. With this many pets, it is always one thing or the other. :-?