Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Hard Water/ High PH Newbie...Please Help!

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  RainbowDash 
#1 ·
Hi,
I wanted to start by saying thanks for all the great info for newbies! I have really enjoyed the research here. I would greatly appreciate some stocking suggestions or guidance from experts much more experienced than me. From reading other post I think I have a decent handle on info you will need.
My current setup:
29 gallon 30L X 12W X 18T
Cycle completed with 6 Zebra Danios (borrowed)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10-20
Temp: 76
Ph: 8.2 (tested tap and tank)
Hardness: 18 I think! API test kit kind of confuses me
Tank has driftwood and artificial plants with 1inch fine/smooth sand substrate.
I am on well water that I KNOW is considered hard! I have also researched several water chemistry areas and made some decisions on that that I feel will affect stocking.
1. I do not want to attempt water chemistry changes
2. I do not want to use/mix RO water
3. I very much want Corydoras
4. I am NOT a fan of livebearers
5. I think my tank is too small for the more brilliantly colored cichlids to be kept in proper numbers
I feel that my water, tank size, and dislike of livebearers are going to really hamstring me! I love personality of Cory’s and want bright colors for the mid and upper levels. Sorry this post is so long but I figure with advice more knowledge will save the experts time. Thank you in advance for your help!
James

See less See more
#3 ·
I would suggest giving a pair of kribensis a shot..water not sublime, but okay I say. Few drops blackwater, nice driftwood, java moss and corkscrew vals, a cave..some rock..
Thanks for the great info Capt.! I found some driftwood with awesome shapes and made some caves with river rocks and aquarium silicone. I plan to upgrade my lighting to a more plant friendly setup when the tax money comes back. The cheap LEDS don't even really bring out any color on the fish! I read up a little on the Kribensis. They really don't have the color "Pop" I was hoping for. Any other ideas?

#4 ·
My pH is 8.4 with a GH/KH of 14-16, so I also have very hard water. I keep neon tetras, however, which are "softwater fish". As long as you acclimate and don't try keeping a fish that prefers harder water than you have in your tank, you should be fine. Just try to buy locally. ;-)

What makes fish prefer different pH values is the amount of minerals in the water. Soft water has less minerals than hard water. When you take a fish that likes a pH of 7.0 and put it in a pH of 8.2, it simply takes the minerals it needs from the water and there are extras that stay in the water. When you take a fish from harder water, say 8.2 pH, and put it in 7.0, there aren't enough minerals to keep it happy and healthy. I hope that makes sense. :)

I wouldn't worry about your water unless you buy online, then you need to acclimate VERY slowly.

#5 ·
So I was thinking about the following for my livestock and I would be grateful to you guys for any guidance or addition info.:)

8 Three Lined Corys

10 Celestial Pearl Danios

8 Long Fined White Cloud Minnows

I like all of these and while they are not exactly in my parameters, they should do a lot better than Rummy nosed...Especially if I get tank raised! Also my two lfs SUCK :cry: so I will buy online and acclimate very slowly.

#9 ·
Are you familiar with the Julidchromis species of Tanganyika. Most stay small very pretty.With your water chemistry my first thought was livebearers but I love them and apparently you don't. Have you given any thought to a brackish setup? I have the same water chemistry you do and I won't mess with it either. Celebes Rainbows are another pretty ,peaceful fish that will do fine in your water.Good Luck

#11 ·
Thanks for the new Ideas! You did talk me out of Wht. Clouds. I will look into the dwarf cichilds but I'm concerned about putting them with corys and about my small tank size. I do like tetras but wouldn't my PH mess them up? Looks like i'm back to researching but that can be the most fun right?!?;-)

#15 ·
I think that Gouramis of all sorts are wonderful, beautiful bright colors if you get the right selection. I know that they are somewhat aggressive, so I don't know if they would work with your fish, because I don't know the temperament of those fish. But I do know that they are very beautiful! I've been looking into getting the Samurai Gourami, very interesting and beautiful fish!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.