Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   36 gallon stocking ideas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/36-gallon-stocking-ideas-34645/)

demasonisrule 01-02-2010 07:46 PM

36 gallon stocking ideas

I am starting my first reef tank in hopefully february. Anyway, I was hoping that this stocking would be OK. Bear with me since this is my first saltwater.
2 Black ocellaris clowns
1 flame angel
1 clown goby
Please, any constructive criticism is welcomed and accepted. If it helps, it will start with just lr and fish, and it will eventually be a reef.

Pasfur 01-02-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demasonisrule (Post 298713)
2 Black ocellaris clowns
1 flame angel
1 clown goby

I think this is a great stocking list for a beginner reef. Each of these fish are sturdy and good for a first marine aquarium.

The most important steps will be the first 4 to 6 weeks. Be sure to allow the tank plenty of time to mature. Patience is key in the marine hobby. You will want to use a good protein skimmer, live/dry rock, and aragonite sand as the filtration system.

I would suggest that you double check here before purchasing any equipment. You can save a lot of money online, and you get unbiased experienced advise!

demasonisrule 01-03-2010 04:41 PM

Since I may have to do 30 gallons rather than 36, would this list still be good? Should I skip the goby, or another fish?

Pasfur 01-03-2010 07:36 PM

Really not much of a difference. The tank is less than 48'' in length and greater than 24'', which is what i'm basing my answer on.

demasonisrule 01-05-2010 02:41 PM

Okay, good. Would you recommend the yellow clown goby, or the green one? I like the look of the green one better, but I have heard that it is more shy? I need good looking fish, but they have to have personality too!

Pasfur 01-05-2010 05:47 PM

I have never kept a green. I had a Yellow, which was very hardy until it jumped out of the tank.

demasonisrule 01-05-2010 06:37 PM

Sorry to hear about your goby :sad:

However, a hardy fish seems my style, first ever marine fish and all (I will be adding the goby first, due to aggression). Would you add the clowns second, or the angel? My guess would be the clowns, as the angel is the most aggressive, correct? I plan to get the tank in a month or so, let it cycle, cure etc. for at least 3 months, add cuc, wait a week or two, add the goby, wait a month or so, add the clowns/angel, wait a month or so, and add the last fish. Then after a year, or when I am feeling ready, I will upgrade the lighting, and get a few corals. Is this a good plan?

Pasfur 01-05-2010 07:26 PM

I like the plan. I would add the Angel last, probably a good 4 or 5 months after setup.

demasonisrule 01-05-2010 09:59 PM

Well, the more and more I read about the flame angel, the less and less I am beginning to like them. Can you recommend a fish that has similar colors, and is reef safe? The body shape doesn't matter so much as the color, and They should hopefully be able to live for life in the 30/36 gallon. Also, something that will swim and move actively.

thanks for all of the help so far!

Pasfur 01-06-2010 06:24 PM

The reason Flames are so popular is that there are very few fish with the red coloration. The Flame Hawk is the only other fish that comes to mind offhand that stays small.