Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Stocking: Kissing Gourami and WHO? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/stocking-kissing-gourami-who-34635/)

Angel079 01-02-2010 04:08 PM

Stocking: Kissing Gourami and WHO?

I successfully settled the stock list for the 45g today..so now.....gimme some ideal for the 55g :-D

I'm set on 1 Couple Kissing Gouramis
Tank size is 55g, Water: pH 7.6 KH 5

I'd like some Cory's (as always yeaaa) maybe a group of 8-10....

So who else would fit with the Gourami's???

La Reina 01-03-2010 10:46 PM

I have platies in with my dwarf, and they do great. They're also very entertaining!

beetlebz 01-04-2010 12:04 AM

i have always wanted kissing gouramis :) in your 55 i think cories and a school of like 12 tiger barbs would be sick! im thinking the barbs wouldnt take crap from the gouramis lol

Kelso 01-04-2010 12:25 AM

Water's a bit basic but: Adolfo's Cory
Rust Cory
Bandit Cory

Steel-blue Killifish

Schultz`s Freshwater Goby
Black African Knifefish

These are just some fish I think would go well with the Kissers, the Knifefish is a stretch, but I like to have focal fish...and he'd be a good one.

Angel079 01-04-2010 08:26 AM

I was reading up on Tiger and Cherry Barbs and Blue Rams last night - Any thoughts on these?

The Cory's I have no issues finding what's suitable.
Having had Killi and breeding them as well - Def no go in the 55g with Gouramies that would be some very snacky expensive snack to put in there :-)

Kelso 01-04-2010 11:05 AM

Even though I'm not a fan of barbs in general...they'll do fine. Blue Rams however are very hard I've noticed to get them to stay alive in the first couple weeks. For me at least. I have never owned them myself, but I have friends who have.

beetlebz 01-04-2010 12:59 PM

ive had good luck so far with this current pair of german blue rams. survived the first week, the tank chemistry went nuts on me again but they survived. Now a month later are starting to get their colors back :)

if they gouramis didnt beat up on them i would say a few german blues or bolivians would be awesome.

Kelso 01-04-2010 01:17 PM

Agreed. Try Looking into dwarf butterfly cichlids as well. Very beautiful, very inquisitive. They're similar to rams in behavior and needs, but can tolerate a wider range of water conditions very well.

Angel079 01-04-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 299615)
if they gouramis didnt beat up on them i would say a few german blues or bolivians would be awesome.

What gouramies do you have? If the blue rams and them don't get along contrary to what I read its pointless for me, I don't want no 'fighter' tank:roll:

Angel079 01-04-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelso (Post 299627)
Agreed. Try Looking into dwarf butterfly cichlids as well. Very beautiful, very inquisitive. They're similar to rams in behavior and needs, but can tolerate a wider range of water conditions very well.

They sure are pretty.....But 2 very large growing species in a 55g.....I'm wondering if I'd not regret that few yrs down the Rd?

I was gonna try find something that wouldn't be too small to be food for the Kissing Gouramies but still small enough to house a school of them - Know what I mean?